PDA

View Full Version : Socially anxious about my appearance.

grace17
01-07-12, 16:27
Hello there, i am a young girl from London late teens.

I worry about how old i look and if i look ugly.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thank You. xxx

The reason for the thread is that im suffering with depression at the moment and the worried i have mean that i often cannot come outside as im very aware of the way i look as i have a birthmark on my face and i feel ugly. :(

Stripeykitty
01-07-12, 16:41
But you're lovely? I often feel ugly myself. I have a birthmark on my nose and I sometimes worry, but I mostly just forget about it. If you feel beautiful, everyone sees your beauty. Trust that you're beautiful, because you are.
Rosie x

theharvestmouse
01-07-12, 18:30
I didn't even see your birthmark, you are not ugly. What Stripey said is very true, if you go out feeling confident with who you are then it comes across.

Lilac58
01-07-12, 19:06
Grace, you are definately not ugly, you are a very attractive young woman.

I hope you're being helped with the depression, and it certainly distorts our thinking in so many ways.

You look beautiful, no question.

mikewales
01-07-12, 19:38
It depends who you are comparing yourself to. Beauty isn't an absolute you can measure, what one person finds attractive, the next person doesn't at all.

Remember as well, the women you see on tv and in photos have had hours of professional make up applied, as well as photo editing to make them look nothing like how they do in real life ! I have a couple of friends who are models, and in their photos they look stunning, but in real life with no make up on and their hair not done, they aren't really anything special.

You need to try and build you self confidence in who you are, personality, sense of humour etc... count for a lot more than just looks - well, unless you are only hoping to attract really shallow men.

mikewales
01-07-12, 19:39
Also to add, I didn't see the birthmark in the pic, but if it is something that bothers you, there are cover up make ups you can get that will disguise it

london guy
01-07-12, 20:40
Your not ugly. And I honestly did not even notice your birthmark.

Moppet
03-07-12, 12:05
I think your suffering from Body dysmorphic disorder. Its quite common amongst social anxiety sufferers as there is a comorbidity component as the two tend to overlap. I think CBT would be beneficial as what needs to change are your negative thoughts about the way you look and your perception of how you think others may view you.