PDA

View Full Version : Why!?

Jimmyboy
03-07-12, 09:58
I can't be the only one that thinks 'why me?' surely??

I have a real bad phobia of anything medical, especially dentists. Basically the dentist is everything I hate - entrapment, pain, invasion etc. And last time I went for a check up I almost passed out in the waiting room and had to get some fresh air.

This scared me even more and I can't face going back there at all now. So because of this, I try to take real good care of my teeth, brushing regularly, avoiding lots of sugar, and I don't smoke or drink alcohol or tea anyway. The idea being that I shouldn't need dental work done if I'm keeping them in good condition (not for a while anyway, where hopefully I could overcome this daft anxiety/fear thing!).......................yet yesterday I found a hole in my gum at the back!!!!! I mean wtf is that?? Looks like where the wisdom tooth should be coming through, but I'm not sure if its tooth or jawbone that I can see through it! I know its been there a while, as I could feel it with my tongue but I don't often look so closely in the mirror as I did yesterday. It doesn't hurt and its clean so its not like infected or anything.

But now I'm constantly worrying about it, and maybe its just a wisdom tooth...but maybe its not, and I physically cannot face going to the dentist to ask about it.........I mean what if they say its not fine and needs some sort of treatment with needles and stuff. :scared15:

I'm just fed up with shit happening to me all the time, and I don't even care if that sounds selfish (its about time I was selfish about something!). I just don't know why bad stuff has to keep happening to the guy with anxiety. :(

And just for the record....I would honestly rather die than go to the dentist.

Jimmy

BlueEyes28
03-07-12, 11:16
Your jaw bone is a lot lower than your tooth, more than likely a wisdom tooth, im 27 and one of mine isn't through properly yet. Also if it doesn't hurt then its nothing to worry about, you have nerves bellow the tooth before bone so if it was bone you'd be in a lot of pain by now. I know its hard to tell yourself that its nothing to worry about but sometimes another HA sufferer is the best person to talk to, for some reason they are able to view things in a more rational way, although were not so good at convincing ourselves lol. The thing with your dentist fear I have with hospitals, I'm not really that bad anymore but I used to stand outside shaking and crying! I just forced myself to go in again and again and eventually they became not so scary. You could do the same not for treatment but just go to your dentist maybe sit inside for a little while watch and see how people come and go with little or no fear this may be of some help, just a thought :-)

Jimmyboy
03-07-12, 19:42
Thanks for that, you're right, it doesn't hurt so can't be bone. Hopefully its just a tooth and it'll come through ok! Although convincing myself of that isn't so easy lol.

And that's not a bad idea about going in a few times, not up to that yet though.