PDA

View Full Version : Eye Movement Desensitization

Andy26
25-05-04, 21:00
I've seen an ad for this type of hypnotherapy. Has anyone tried it? Anyone know exactly what it is? The ad suggests 'success' in a one hour session which sounds too good to be true but if anyone can vouch for that then maybe I'll give it a go!

Cheers,

Andy

Meg
25-05-04, 22:08
Hi Andy ,

This is also being used in EFT and kinesielogy. Stick either in to the search facility to read recent threads on it.

There have been several people who have found it useful and went on to use it regularly with some success - don't know about the 1 hour thing though..I'm fairly sure it needs regular self reinforcement and practice.

Let us know if you try it

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

twister
26-05-04, 11:29
I have read a little about this on my psychology degree. I think the consensus is it works because of the simple desensitisation techniques and is less to do with the whole eye movement thing (which is based on a theory of memory that we have a visuo-spatial scratchpad in our working memory).

I think at first they advertised it for use with PTSD as this responds particularly well to desensitisation.

Like Meg though the 'hour' thing sounds extremely unrealistic and if you do want it done I'd probably approach someone with a more sensible attitude.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Enigma
15-01-05, 17:37
found a website for ya'll to look at. Takes more than one session!
http://www.emdr.com/briefdes.htm

www.phoenixhypno.bravehost.com