PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum and new to Venlafaxine!

proteus
03-07-12, 20:20
Hey there everyone!

Lately, I've been seeing a psych and she figures that I have ADD and an anxiety disorder of some kind.

She initially put me on Fluoxetine 20mg, which made me feel a bit nervous and didn't really help. I've also tried Sertraline before which seemed to do very little.

She's now decided that I should start taking Venlafaxine, initially taking 37.5mg IR once daily and then upping it to twice daily after a week.

I'm new to all of this, so I have a few questions:

1. I stopped taking the Fluoxetine 20mg yesterday. My psychiatrist says that I only need to wait a day or two before I take the Venlafaxine. Does that sound about right?

2. What should I be expecting to feel during the initial few days/weeks that I take it? (I read the side effect leaflet/the internet and it scared me :ohmy: )

3. Is it effective for social anxiety type problems?

4. Should I take Diazepam with it initially? I've seen this suggested before.

5. Are there any precautions I need to take when I'm on it and past the initial side effects?

6. Exactly how unforgiving is it with regards to missing a dose? Is it so bad that even forgetting to take it once will result in major unhappiness, or do you need to slip up a few times?

Thanks everyone!

- Proteus

Pipkin
03-07-12, 21:16
Hi there and :welcome:!

I take Venlafaxine and whilst I'm no expert, I think I've grown to understand it quite well so I'll try to answer your questions:

1) The NHS guidance states you can stop Fluoxetine one day and start Venlafaxine the next, on a low dose (which 37.5 mg per day is). Your GP's got it right.

2) Common start-up effects are dizziness, nausea and increased anxiety. I've been on this 3 times and it's not too bad but it varies from person to person. Don't be tempted to stop after a few days - stick at it and you'll start to see an improvement.

3) I don't have first-hand experience of this but there are others on here who say it helps. Hopefully, someone else will help you with this question.

4) If you've been prescribed this, it can help with the initial increased anxiety. See how you feel and take each day at a time. Remember that Venlafaxine can take quite a while to work - I improved gradually but didn't see the full effects for a couple of months.

5) Nothing beyond what you'd do on any SSRI/SNRI. Read the leaflet and follow the guidance. It says to avoid alcohol. I would definitely do this for a few weeks and then judge for yourself if you want to drink, in moderation. Many of us do but be careful at first as it can increase alcohol's sedative effects.

6) I've never missed one so I have no personal experience. There are differences between the standard and extended release forms - I'm pretty sure you're on the standard as you will be taking two a day. Some say missing one dose is enough to bring on withdrawal symptoms, others don't notice. When I stopped taking it the last time, I would say it was a couple of days before I noticed anything.

I hope that helps. Check out the very active thread in this forum on Venlafaxine started by Pinkdove and feel free to join in. We're happy to support you through your first few weeks (and beyond).

Take care

Pip x

Aila
06-07-12, 13:28
Hi proteus

I too have just started quiteapine 50 mg at night.
Also 75mg of venaflaxine.

I took 40mg citalopram (ssri) like Prozac.

I come off citalopram two weeks ago( basically because I took an overdose)

I would be interested to know how you are getting on as I only took 75mg 4 hours ago and feel hyper!

Aila

proteus
06-07-12, 16:41
Hi proteus

I too have just started quiteapine 50 mg at night.
Also 75mg of venaflaxine.

I took 40mg citalopram (ssri) like Prozac.

I come off citalopram two weeks ago( basically because I took an overdose)

I would be interested to know how you are getting on as I only took 75mg 4 hours ago and feel hyper!

Aila

Well for me on 37.5mg, I found that the euphoria only occurred the first time I took the drug. By day two it was gone entirely. I've read reports that it can come back upon dose increase, though, so watch this space for when I up the dose after a week.

In terms of the other side effects, whilst they're a little odd, I've found them perfectly manageable. I've not even needed sedatives such as diazepam.