PDA

View Full Version : hate feeling this way

JoniEdwards
04-07-12, 08:57
Im dizzy, sweaty, cant breathe, think im dying. Ughh I hate this. I always think there is something wrong with me. I am always feeling sick and tight chested and throated. I just want to not be scared about my health. I have turned to self medicating with alcohol. I have no one to talk to. My dr. gave me clonazapam. Ive seen a therapist. I just cant shake this.

Xo
Joni.

PokerFace
04-07-12, 10:46
You can overcome Health Anxiety. When I was at my worst I was convinced there was no way out and I'd be this way forever but I'm sitting here now feeling pretty much normal. I'm not saying there's a miracle cure as I feel I'll always be a bit more anxious than usual but I'm a lot happier and life is much easier. To be honest, I think I might have always been a nervous anxious person but just didn't notice til it got way out of control!

I don't know much about medication for anxiety as I only took Propranolol for a few months to help with symptoms but if your medication isn't working for you could you go back to your doctor and ask for a different type or what other options are available to you?

If you've been checked out by your doctor and any underlying physical cause for the way you feel has been ruled out, you need to accept your feelings as anxiety. It's hard, very hard but can be done and as soon as you stop feeding your mind with thoughts that your dying and tell it your fine and it's just anxiety the feelings will start to get less intense. I'm not saying this will happen overnight, it's a long and tiring job to try and get better, it's not fair because it seems we can develop Health Anxiety seemingly overnight but it takes us what feels forever to overcome it!

Self medicating with alcohol is something I tried but it really isn't the way, it makes you feel good at the time but can extremely increase your anxiety the next day. Look for ways other than alcohol to calm yourself, be it a long bath, watching tele with your family, a walk, literally anything. Just try hard to empty your mind of the terrifying thoughts you have and try to enjoy yourself. Living your life normally as you would have before your anxiety spiralled can really help you.

I honestly understand how you feel, just reading your post took me back to the nightmare that's anxiety but there is definatley hope. I'm not advertising my own post here but I did write a little bit of advice for Health Anxiety sufferers this week that you might find interesting to read. You might not cuz you might have heard it all before but it's worth a little look at. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117321

I hope you feel better soon and wish you all the best. x