PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

PJriverside
04-07-12, 17:02
Hi there, I'm new to this, I am a 42 year old single Mum with three children. I work at a Pre-School as a Deputy Supervisor and am currently studying with Oxford Brookes University for my foundation degree in early years, (I've completed a year, one more to go!):yahoo:

I joined to try to hopefully get some tips and support with my agoraphobia an panic attacks. I have suffered to varying degrees since I was 18 and although it restricts my life lots, I'm probably the best I've been in years. My aim is to be free from this completely if at all possible .:confused:

I'm hoping to make some new friends that totally understand how I'm feeling as I do hate to tell ppl I don't really know well as I've had lots of unsensitive responses in the past! :blush:

My name's Paula but you can call me PJ, :noangel:

nomorepanic
04-07-12, 17:12
Hi PJriverside

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

BobbyDog
04-07-12, 17:46
Hi PJ,

Sorry you have had negative responses when discussing your mental health problems with people, I have recently been open with people about mine and have had mostly positive results, the odd embarrassed face aswell. Like yourself I have agorophobia - sometimes, social phobia - most of the time and panick attacks - almost every day.

:welcome:

dally
04-07-12, 21:50
Hi pj

welcome

ive just joined too.
Im 53 and had panic attacks for years which ended up in agraphobia. Ive been getting help from an OT doing graded exposure to the 'outside world' haha

Im scared of taking meds and have relied on 2mg of valium when im totally desperate, but the doc is always trying to get me to stop taking them!!! The are a hit and a miss whether they work. It all depends how stressed I am and when I actually take the valium, cos I try sooo hard not to take them and just do the deep breathing, distraction etc first.
But.... sometimes , with hindsight, if I just took the dam valium I couldve prevented some MAJOR PAs.

Oh well, Im soo pleased your managed to keep a job AND study. Ive completed highers and wouldve loved to go to uni, but I just couldnt travel and that made me soooo gutted.

keeep in touch

xx

PJriverside
05-07-12, 09:17
thanks for your warm welcomes.
I know how you feel about the study issues Dally.
I am lucky that I can study in my local college which is about 3 mins away from home. If I want to go on to do my Early Years Professional Status after I've finished this they no longer do it locally so I would have to travel about 30 miles. There's no way I could do that. :ohmy:
Maybe one day. A few years ago I would never have believed I would be at Uni at all so I'm happy. My job is close to home too so no worries there until they mention outside training or school trips! :shrug:
chat soon, PJ x x