PDA

View Full Version : Seratonin syndrome and quitting venlafaxine

Iddo39
05-07-12, 10:42
Hi. Am new to this site so hope I am not repeating unnecessarily. I was admitted to hospital twice last week with seizures ( never had before) and several other symptoms including hallucinating, confusion, high blood pressure, high temp and twitching. Was eventually discovered that I had seratonin syndrome after I was iven Robitussin by my pharmacist. They assured me it was fine with venlafaxine!!
Anyway, the consultant said I had to stop not only the cough syrup(easy one) but also the venlafaxine as I could end up back in hospital if I took it again. I was on 225 mg a day and know how rough I felt if I missed a dose let alone quitting completely. I have been given imipramine to help.
It is now day 4 and until now have not felt too bad. Now, can't sleep and if I do I have nightmares. Feel really dizzy and sick and feel the old "sinking into a black hole" feeling.
Does anyone have any advice on getting through this period? How long will it last? Please say not long

Iddo39
07-07-12, 22:31
Am now on day 6 since I last took a 225 mg Venlafaxine. I think maybe I have got of light as I am feeling bit better already. Had terrible nightmares for 3 nights. I would wake up every half hour or so, be soaking with sweat and even though I knew I was awake I was scared stiff. That seems to have passed although I am still dreaming a lot. Other than that, I still feel nauseous and very hot but can now read again without being sick. Does anyone know if symptoms can drag on or come back?