PDA

View Full Version : Sudden panic attacks

Clairalou
05-07-12, 12:51
Hi,

I haven't been on the site for quite sometime as after having cognitive behavioural therapy I felt much better.

I've been having a few issues lately and they are starting to build up and I feel like I am going back down the old road.

I have been having sudden flashes of panic going hot and feeling dizzy and emotional feeling like I'm going to faint, this has in turn made my health anxiety rear it's ugly head, I keep checking my pulse and every pain I think im having a heart attack and consulting dr google which makes me worse.

I have been under a lot of pressure recently I left my job after I fractured my hand and my oldest son who's autistic has been having a hard time.

Could the stress trigger the panic I just seems to come out of no where for no reason! I just wish it would go away!

Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks Claire xx

josh1987
05-07-12, 13:09
i think stress trigger panic well for me anyways

Margaret99
05-07-12, 18:26
Stress is a well know trigger for increasing anxiety and panic attacks. I find that any significant increase in stress sends my anxiety levels sky high and I'm more prone to what I call my 'pre panic' state.

potato11
05-07-12, 22:02
Hi Clairalou

I can relate to this. I think it's the simple connection of stress triggering fight or flight naturally... but when you're afraid of fight or flight symptoms, you get caught up in the loop of
"oh no I feel bad..what if I go into panic again..I can't beat this.." lala
which triggers the fight/flight response

And if you're stressed then ur utilising the sympathetic nervous system even more

I strongly suggest you try some guided meditation videos. They help you bring it down a notch or two...help you remember what it feels like to be that little bit calmer... and utilising your "parasympathetic nervous system" helps give the sympathetic a little rest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-klfBJlHc

get some headphones, lie down somewhere for 30 mins if u can, and enjoy!

Justin1973
06-07-12, 10:53
Yes, i find if I'm experiencing more stress, for whatever reason, my anxiety is heightened and I'm at risk of panic attacks. I've bookmarked the meditation guide link. I think those of us prone to stress and who find it hard to cope with need a bit of rest now and again.

I just thought I'd add to that as I did wonder. After reading this thread, it just comfirms that a lot of stress does bring back anxiety and panic symptoms, even if I've been free of all that for a while before hand. Thanks this is reassuring and helps. I hope it helps the O.P. HERE too :)

Skakitty
10-07-12, 19:43
I'm the same, for me my most likely triggers are a combination of ongoing stress/pressure (anything over a week will do it)and tiredness. Combined they are panic-central. Even if i feel 'fine' and am 'coping' I just have to have one day where i'm a bit more tired than usual, or someone criticizes me and i panic. On another day when i'm feeling awake and ok, it won't bother me. strange thing it is.