PDA

View Full Version : Appetite problems, please help me!

chloevictoria
05-07-12, 13:55
I am 16 and have posted about this before. Last year when I had my first major bout of anxiety my appetite completely disappeared from June - September. And until about April I had actually started to gain back the weight I lost.

I was coping during my exams until my friend took something and ended up in hospital. I told myself it wouldn't affect me and felt surprisingly calm. That day I sat down to eat dinner and I just didn't want to eat it at all. It wasn't appealing and I just felt sick.

So far this has been going on for almost a month and I really really don't want it to affect me any longer. I suppose it's better this time because I am actually eating rather than running away from food, but it hasn't stopped me losing weight. I now think I have some kind of disease.

I'm scared people are going to think I'm too skinny and think I have an eating disorder, I'm already a vegetarian so that doesn't exactly help lol.

If you can relate, how long did your appetite take to come back?
I want to get rid of this so much, it's the only thing I think about anymore.
Thanks

annie.hall
05-07-12, 16:13
I too lose appetite when I'm under stress, which is almost every day... First, you've got to tell yourself that you're losing weight only because of anxiety and the amount of food you consume during the day. When you're in a bad state, you don't eat as much as you would normally do. But that's not all, your anxiety is also taking a toll on your body. You're burning those calories much faster. That's why you're losing weight.

Now, I don't have any magical trick for you to gain back the weight you lost. I only have advice on coping with it. You don't need the stress of thinking what people will think about it. The people who think you developed an eating disorder are the ones who easily gain weight. They don't understand that you have a different metabolism.

Also, don't weigh yourself until you know you are gaining weight. It just puts more pressure on yourself if you see the numbers dropping. I get into panic mode whenever I see that I lose weight. Finally, don't inspect your body in the mirror measuring how much weight you lost. I do all those things and it's really bad.

Try to eat food that are rich and don't skip meals. Make sure you eat in the morning, you'll feel better during the day.

Good luck!

Pipkin
05-07-12, 18:18
Hi Chloe,

I'm exactly the same - when my anxiety rises, I lose my appetite and consequently weight I can't afford to lose. All I can say is that it will get better and, as Annie said, try to eat higher calorie foods - little and often is best. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water or squash etc.

You've got better before and you will again.

Take care

Pip x

lett20
05-07-12, 22:06
Hi chloe , I am the same my appetite goes when i am going through a bad stint of anxiety which i am doing now .. i have no interest in food and have lost well over a stone .. i constantly have my mum and doctor on my back about making sure i eat ( and im 28 ) but its a daily battle at the moment xx