PDA

View Full Version : No magic solution

Geoff2301
05-07-12, 19:49
I've just realised there's no magic solution to depression/anxiety if you get admitted to hospital. Just spent 4 weeks in the psychiatric unit after suffering severe depression and taking 10 clonazepam tablets to try and make myself feel a bit better...... not a suicide attempt I hasten to add! The staff are lovely but there's no treatment when you're in there........ just saw the consultant once a week who reviews your medication..... the rest of the time is extremely boring playing cards,scrabble,chess,watching tv.........just trying to fill the day evening up. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a cure!!

theharvestmouse
05-07-12, 21:05
That's so true, not been in hospital over my anxiety but I'm gradually having to accept that like anything in life, you have to work damn hard to overcome mental illness and there is no simple solution.

suzy-sue
05-07-12, 23:56
Im sorry youve been unwell Geoff .:hugs:.Hospital enviroments arent the best places at the best of times .Hope you recover soon ,Till then just take one day at a time and dont put pressure on yourself .Sending you a Big hug :bighug1:Luv Sue xx

haz
06-07-12, 00:31
Couldn't agree more Geoff. I've had three hospital admissions since 2010. The staff aren't particularly nice, in fact they are quite lazy, never ask how you are feeling, they seem to be quite jaded in their job.

No therapy whatsoever. We used to get locked out of our rooms/dorms between 10-12 and 2-4pm every day. This was supposedly so that the staff could assess us. Pretty hard to do when you're either in the office or the staff room on a break! Being forced to watch the Jeremy Kyle show and other mindless daytime tv is not therapy!

I kept getting told that all the help available to me was from my resource centre, yeah right, six psychology sessions and then that's it!

I discovered today that they have taken away my CPN support as they have limited resources and need them for the people with psychosis :shrug:

I've got to change over from Incapacity Benefit to ESA and now have no one to help me fill in the form or attend the medical with me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Regards.

Haz

nomorepanic
06-07-12, 00:49
I have to say that hospital is the worst place ever to get better and recover. You are much better at home in your own environment amongst your own things etc. I have only ever been admitted for illnesses and not anx/depression and it was the worst 2 months of my life ever and I had to have counselling for it when I got out.

I care for someone (as my job) that was admitted for 7 months and she said all people used to do was share alcohol and drugs amongst themselves.

yvonne_uk_98
06-07-12, 02:21
I've just realised there's no magic solution to depression/anxiety if you get admitted to hospital. Just spent 4 weeks in the psychiatric unit after suffering severe depression and taking 10 clonazepam tablets to try and make myself feel a bit better...... not a suicide attempt I hasten to add! The staff are lovely but there's no treatment when you're in there........ just saw the consultant once a week who reviews your medication..... the rest of the time is extremely boring playing cards,scrabble,chess,watching tv.........just trying to fill the day evening up. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a cure!!

Hi Geoff,

so sorry to hear you were unwell, glad to hear your back home. being in hospital has its good points and bad points. I can understand that you felt it didn't help being in. :hugs:

I learned to use it for a rest, when ever i went in. its a place where you have time to think how to overcome certain issues in your life. takes time though. I still don't like to go in to hospital.

take one day at a time, you will get there, hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne

haz
06-07-12, 12:19
My last post was very negative but unfortunately true. However, I did manage to get off Seroxat in 10 days under hospital supervision. I am very sensitive to meds and whilst on another med I had to have my bp/pulse rate monitored twice a day which couldn't have been done without being in hospital.

Also, I met my boyfriend there so that was one good thing to come out of it as we are able to support each other when the NHS let us down.

I'm also afraid of being alone when I'm very ill and it was becoming too much for my elderly parents staying with them.

Haz.x

Geoff2301
29-07-12, 19:42
well unfortunately I only survived about 10 days out before I was readmitted as I felt so suicidal!! Must admit that I did get myself discharged when I still wasn't feeling too good, as I was concerned about my gardening business and losing all my customers....... particularly as my wife is disabled and we were relying on her disability benefit of £70 a week. Anyway, they decided, with my agreement, that ECT was the way forward........ then after about 5 days in the unit, I went completely "manic" for want of a better word..... something I'd never quite experienced before!! Felt 100% with incedible energy and didn't need any sleep for days...... wasn't even tired. I talked nonstop and incredibly fast to everyone...... saw the psychiatrist who described me as looking absolutely "wild" and promptly changed his diagnosis to bipolar disorder, stopped all antidepressants and planned ECT and I'm now been put on a mood stabiliser and told I'll probably be in there for weeks till they get me stable!! At least I'm allowed out for 6 hours a day as long its with my wife. They did seem to suggest putting me on Lithium which I'm rather against after reading about all the side effects and damage the stuff can do to your body! The good thing is that I feel I am at last making a bit of progress with a diagnosis after years of problems!!

PanchoGoz
29-07-12, 21:50
You poor guy :( ECT is electro convulsive therapy right? I thought they didn't do that anymore? Crikey, at least you are getting somewhere now! My hugs to you :hugs: