PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine!!

Lilith
25-05-04, 21:24
I know one of the first things we're told to do when panic attacks occur is to avoid caffeine. And I did this. For a while. My panic and anxiety were at an all time low and I was feeling really good. Then, last week, I had a cup of tea. The next day it was coffee. I have been drinking a small cup of coffee every day since. Last night I woke up an hour after going to bed in the midst of a great big panic attack. It has to be the caffeine.

I just wanted to give a warning to anybody out there who may be thinking (as I did) 'What harm can one cup of coffee do to me?"

nomorepanic
25-05-04, 21:35
I gave it up years ago and I drink de-caff - tastes the same to me!

I had red bull once - major panic (I didnt know it had caffeine in it)

Good reason to give it up eh?

Nicola

jenkey
25-05-04, 22:55
Dear Lilith,
I'm sorry to hear about your middle of the night panic attack - they are often the scariest. I totally agree about caffeine - totally no-go for me from now on! I also wanted to add in that too much salt and MSG are also really bad for - chinese food is a nightmare! I do eat it every now and again and however much I try to drink water and stay hydrated I always end up having a really panicky night.
Take care,
Jenny x

Meg
25-05-04, 23:04
Hi Jenny,

I'm not sure this side of MSG sensitivity has anything to do with hydration. I think MSG is similar to some kids and e numbers. You're either ok with it or you're not and unfortunately get the horrible shaky effects.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
26-05-04, 05:29
Hey everyone,

I agree about the caffeine. It is the worst feeling is`nt it?????

I too will get feeling a bit better and in control of my anxiety/attacks and will say oh well, what is one coke gonna do? Then so on and so on.

Before I know it I am anxious/panicky.

Lilith.....

I hope you are feeling better now and you are staying away from the "CAFFEINE". :)

The ones in the middle of the night are horrid are`nt they????

I mean no time is a good time for one, but I just think the middle of the night is terrible. :(

Jenkey.............

I feel the same with the MSG.

It sucks, because I love chinese food, but I hate the feelings it gives me.

What are we to do?????

I wonder about the places that state they use no MSG?????

I always "think" to try it, but then I "think" they are lying and decide not to.

Have you eaten from places that say they do not use MSG or exclude MSG upon request? If so what has been your experience?????

Sounds much like I am looking for a guinea pig does`nt it?????? LOL........ :-D

Take care all,

Love, Diana xxxxx

seh1980
26-05-04, 16:59
Hi Lilith,

I have the same problem with the caffeine. I gave up tea and coffee and now drink de-caf as I find it tastes the same. My main problem is chocolate as I LOVE it but the caffeine from it really gets to me...
Sarah (seh1980)

diana
29-05-04, 01:17
Sarah,

Same here, I love chocolate, but it does`nt like me. :)

Really sucks does`nt it?????

I hear carob is a great substitute though. I may try it.

Has anyone tried it instead of chocolate?

Take care all,

Diana xxx

apm
01-06-04, 14:32
Chocolate has caffeine in?? Is that alot of caffeine? I've given up caffeine completely, after going back to an expresso in the morning and having a nasty anxiety relapse, but do occasionally eat chocolate. Is that bad??

Alex.
xxx

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

Meg
01-06-04, 15:23
Alex,

Yes, but not in huge quantities.
You've got be going some to feel it- the sugar hit will strike first. so if you're doing ok with it- no worries.

Coke is up there too and Red Bull etc is off the scale and some painkillers have a lot in too..

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

nomorepanic
01-06-04, 16:21
Ohhh didn't know about pain killers!

Scary aint it?

Nicola

diana
03-06-04, 14:01
Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very scary. :|

Do you know which pain killers off of the top of your head Meg?

Take care all,

Diana xxx

ally_wlondon
27-10-06, 14:58
hello, very interesting to read about caffeine

i gave it up nearly 2 years ago, and now i drink de caff tea and coffee and herbal stuff too.

don't eat chocolate but my treat is hot chocolate which doesn't tend to have an effect on me so maybe that could be a substitute to quench the chocolate cravings!!

As for painkillers, in my experience anything that says plus, extra or max probably has caffeine in it as it is a painkiller.....stuff like feminax for period cramps is stuffed full with it, nurofen, anadin, paramol are all caffeine free as far as i know, just look on the packet, it will say what the tablets contain!

keef737
29-10-06, 14:01
When I went to my docter, Nurse, consultant, they all said
De - Cafe is fine no problem
So I drink that instead, but coming off the caffine may give you slight a head ache and slight depression for a couple of days good ridance to that poisen anyway

so really caffine hurts your body and several medical people told me this it norrows the arteries so they tell me and the long term effects are bad, I noticed in docters surgeries leaflets warning people no more that
no more than 4 cups per day - Tea ! the hard stuff !!!!!

well this has turned out to be good news for panic sufferers because we have become aware of a danger affecting everyone and we are doing something about it, think of the harm its doing everyone else
and we are getting better good news, one up for us !!!!

MissChampers
30-10-06, 16:26
I've not had a cigarette since saturday night or any alcohol and i've noticed i'm feeling much calmer today. I could even go into town this morning and stand in a long queue without feeling anxious so i'm beginning to believe any stimulant makes things much worse. I'm going to try and go all week without any ciggies and no caffeine and see if the calm lasts until then. :D

Rennie1989
30-10-06, 19:53
Caffine has caused me to have paic attacks before and make me really shakey! I did say to myself to cut down on coffee, at least for a month, I didn't last long and now I have at least one cup of coffee a day. Luckily it hasn't caused me to have panic attacks but I almost did when I got stressed (coffee + stress = nasty panic attack).

AKA Scooter Girl

taffysteve
30-10-06, 20:16
Agree with everything said here about caffeine. It simply is not good for someone with anxiety...but sorry - just TRY and keep me away from chocolate! I dare you![:P]

I don't drink tea but my other half drinks decaf tea and I drink decaf coffee - and I genuinely can't tell the difference.

***And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance***

Southern_Belle
01-11-06, 16:08
Hi all,

I too don't drink caffiene and am allergic to soy so no msg for me either. Chocolate also sends me over the top. I find that sugar does too though. (Gee come to think of it I can hardly eat anything, lol) Anyways, some of the prescribed pain pills for migraines and such have caffiene in them so beware and always read the labels if it really bothers you, I have to. Thanks for all your advice.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

Phill2
02-11-06, 07:05
Caffeine is poison to us anxiety suffers.I've been drinking decaf tea for years The improvement is amazing
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

chard22
03-11-06, 04:55
hey lil,
yea caffiene will give me huge PA's. for me i think its not the caffiene so much as it gets my heart going and then i freak about my heart beating and then PA. but just dont take caffiene or take very little and you'll be fine.

richard

Lilac
06-11-06, 00:51
Having suffered panic attacks and palpitations for 4 months now.
I gave up caffeine 3 weeks ago and it really made a difference.
I was a serious coffee drinker only full strength filter coffee would do.
have also stopped tea changed to filter de-caf coffee which tastes just as good. Also de-caf tea.
also tried to cut out red wine cos that seemed to give me palp's in the evening. I now have limited myself to only one glass of red wine which is sometimes difficult but find I'm Ok on this. Other drinks don't seem to affect me, just a shame that red wine is my favourite.
I do eat chocolate but haven't noticed that this makes me worse
thank goodness.
Lilac

creatrix
07-11-06, 20:39
I do soooo love my coffee. I usually do okay with just a cup in the morning, but sometimes even that is too much and i get all shaky and antsy.

i hear rescue remedy works well for this. i'm off to try to buy some tonight.

kimmy
07-11-06, 22:44
De caf this De caf that, it all tastes the same, I think see see Dcaffinated decaff the other day!! Genious

wonderfly
08-11-06, 05:02
i still drink caffine i know i shouldn't but i do...as for caffine in pain killers ever noticed 'fast relief'? yup has caffine...caffine makes the digestive system work faster hence faster obsorption! if i have chocolate my body dosn't like it, i cant stop going to the bathroom....MSG is actually a low quality salt hence why some people experience de-hydration through chiniese food...the idea is to be hydrated before you de-hydrate yourself though salt...my suggestion is try making it yourself, im not big on takeaway as you dont really know what is in the food. Just how many things taste just like chicken?.....

dj9928
09-11-06, 21:11
I'm gonna be odd and say I have no problems with caffine, I've drank Coke for years without problem, don't like tea or coffee, but have never had any problems due to caffeine

Check Out My Anxiety Diary

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=127587744

mick
10-11-06, 09:16
hi Folks
ive just given up caffiene this week for good and was wondering how long roughly does it take before you feel the benefits?
cheers Mick