PDA

View Full Version : Caffiene

neowallace
06-07-12, 06:08
Hi Guys

I know this is going to seem pretty obvious but just wanted to find out some thoughts on the subject. For a long time now I guess due to addiction I find that every drink I have during the day has Caffeine in it. I drink either Coca Cola or Tea. I am doing a stress course at the moment and they suggest anything more than 600mg can maybe bring on anxiety symptoms.:ohmy: Has anybody noticed any improvement in their anxiety once they cut it out or down? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Warm Regards
Steven....

sunshine1
06-07-12, 08:38
if i drink too much caffeine it makes me feel over stimulated. I try not to have caffeine after 4pm as I think it affects my sleep, which is really importnt to me. I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and then switch to decaf, or peppermint tea. Do have the occaSSIONAL diet coke in the day.:)

BobbyDog
06-07-12, 15:58
I have not consumed any caffeine for a long time, it makes me anxious, paranoid and it brings on a panic attack, I get the same effect when I have too much sugar. I can't cope with stimulants.

Anyway, I read in an article that we anxiety sufferers should expose ourselves to the very things that cause us to panic, so that eventually we will not react to those things in a negative way.

My latest subject is caffeine, I am having about four cups of coffee a day, sometimes I have no reaction and other times I feel very anxious for a couple of hours. I have been doing this for a couple of weeks now and I am able to cope much better than when I first started...

So yes, my anxiety is reduced when I do not consume caffeine.

nomorepanic
06-07-12, 18:12
This is from the "Coping" page on the left written by me:

Caffeine

Medically, caffeine is useful as a cardiac stimulant and also as a mild diuretic (it increases urine production). Recreationally, it is used to provide a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. It's often used to stay awake longer - college students and drivers use it to stay awake late into the night. Many people feel as though they "cannot function" in the morning without a cup of coffee to provide caffeine and the boost it gives them.
Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.
Panic sufferers are usually advised to cut out caffeine because of the stimulant effects it has on the brain and body.
Caffeine is commonly found in coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa and don't forget that some soft drinks contain caffeine as well : Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Dr Pepper, RedBull and fizzy Lucozade to name just 5!
I stopped drinking tea, coffee and any soft drinks containing caffeine in September 2000 and it has had a dramatic effects on my Panic attacks. If I now drink a soft drink containing caffeine then I end up shaking and feeling quite ill! For the first few months I really missed a cup of tea in the morning but it was worth the sacrifice for my health. I now drink water instead so I get more than my recommended 8 glasses a day. If you really can't face a day with tea or coffee then use the decaffeinated varieties - they aren't that bad!

Anxious_gal
07-07-12, 03:26
I have one cup of coffee a day, any more and my heart races.
Coffee speeds up your heart and dehydrates you both which can trigger off your anxiety.
It's also addictive .

neowallace
07-07-12, 08:24
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the feedback I thought as much, cut back yesterday but cannot say it made any difference. But I will keep on trying and post any results.....:winks:

All the best to everyone
Steven...:)

Nathan246
07-07-12, 08:54
I decided to cut out caffeine when i started taking propranolol about 7 weeks ago as i thought this would help reduce anxiety. I have stopped drinking coffee, tea etc an only eat very small amount of chocolate now. I drink ovaltine, water an fruit juices. I have tried twinnings herbal/fruit infusions but dont like most of them. I tried red bush tea an like it alot, it is quite similar to regular tea without any caffeine. I seem to have less energy an feel tired more. Dont know if this is from taking propranolol or not having caffeine.