PDA

View Full Version : Worst symptom in 7 years

Fly away Katie
06-07-12, 08:26
I've had anxiety on and off since the age of 13.
I've suffered many symptoms but what I have now is by far the worst.

I'm REALLY struggling to swallow.

I know It's anxiety. I've had it for about a year on and off but this time It's come back with a vengeance. Usually I think of daft little methods to distract my mind as I swallow, (such as gently squeezing my finger and thumb together and focusing on that feeling) but I've used so many techniques now, that they've almost 'worn off'.

I'm absolutely worn out with it and just wondering if anyone has been where I am now, whether it goes away, and what can I do to help me swallow?

Thanks for reading xxxxx

nikkinik
06-07-12, 11:17
I have a goitre (lump in my throat).. that makes me a bit paranoid, Im sure its bigger than when I pointed it out to the doctor two years ago.. Oddly, around my period I get a sore throat and find it hard to swallow, same with a dry throat.. I dont have many problems with anxiety/swallowing (Although now Ive thought about it Im sure I will!). Sometimes my throat feels like its swelling when I go to the dentist, because every time my face swells up (it NEVER used to), but that does panic me, who wants to feel like theyre choking!! Im sure you'll be fine, focus takes the right sort of attention, its like telling you not to think about an elephant.. Now you've probably thought about one! Im sure a new symptom will take its place soon! lol It usually does with me :P x

PanchoGoz
06-07-12, 16:00
Thats odd I get a dry throat with periods also.

You know that the throat problem is due to anxiety. We've proven that. So the problem is you still have doubts about it. Anxiety can't stop you swallowing, but something inside you won't let go of this symptom. You need to prove you do not fear it. If you try not to think about your swallowing which you are doing strenuously with techniques and distraction, it persists - what you resist, persists as they say. So do it in reverse: For a times amoun each day, focus on your swallowing as much as you can, don't let your concentration slip, keep focused on the sensations. When you do this you will be in for a nice surprise - you will lose concentration on it. Everytime you put aside time to focus on it, you will get more and more bored of it. This would happen naturally but why not speed up the process! Measure your anxiety each time on paper and watch it go down.