PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety

Nathan246
06-07-12, 10:18
This is my first time writing on here, iv been taking propranolol 40mg once a day, early evening for about 7 weeks now. A few months ago i had a cold an was feeling strange, anxious so went to doctors, he briefly checked me an prescribed antibiotics. After a few days was feeling better but then a few more days on started feeling very anxious. Phoned doctor an was prescribed propranolol over phone. I havnt had any tests done to see what may be causing anxiety feelings. Was really worried about taking propranolol so went to see doctor he assured me i was ok to take them said it was to do with over production of adrenaline, an also arranged for blood test for thyroid as this maybe cause of anxiety feelings. Results were a bit high so doctor said to repeat in 4 weeks time. Propranolol seems to of calmed down anxiety alot. I have recently had a slight swelling on my gum and have been worrying about it so am seeing doctor this morning.

saab
07-07-12, 19:12
Hi Nathan. I wanted to respond as you are a first time poster.

It just sounds as though you have got yourself in a bit of a state worrying about your health. Thyroid problems are really common and many people take medication for them, so I would just wait and see what the tests say. Again, propanolol is a really commonly prescribed drug, often used for short-term anxiety issues.

Our minds can so easily play tricks on us and produce anxiety at the drop of a hat - even when we aren't in an anxious situation our body can mistakenly produce adrenaline and we can have a surge in panic or low-level anxiety.

Many people cope by trying to 'float' through the anxiety. If you relax, the adrenaline will discharge itself. If you try to fight it, saying, 'Pull yourself together...get a grip" and so on, you produce more adrenaline and feel more anxious.

Good luck with your doctors visit and I hope you feel better soon.

Nathan246
07-07-12, 21:31
Hi thanks for response. I went to doctors yesterday as i was getting worried about my gum, the doctor checked my mouth an said, as i knew he would that my teeth are in a bad state an that i need to see a dentist. He prescribed me antibiotics to treat any infection. I have terrible fear of dentist an havnt been for over 20 years following some bad experiences when i was younger. I know i have to get my teeth treated an must pluck up the courage to go an see a dentist. So as well as anxiety about health i now have finding and going to see a dentist to sort out. I asked to have my thyroid checked as my mum had problems with this and was on thyroid tablets when i was born which affected me for a while so i thought i may have a problem with this now.

isthisasgdasitgets
13-07-12, 02:30
Hi nathan, hope you're feeling a bit better. I totally understand how you feel about dentists. I didn't go for 5 years as I had a bad experience. However I now manage a 10 min check up.... a good dentist understands people are nervous. I'm sure if you explain when you find one they will be very understanding and sympathetic. You can do it and i'm sure you'll feel a whole lot better for it when you do. :)

lauraebowes
13-07-12, 07:41
Hi nathan how u feeling today. I have a simular story my teeth have been in a mess for about 15 years die.to being petrified of the dentist. I needed four teeth out which kept getting abcesses on. I feared allsorts and i really do think my anxiety is all to do with my teeth. I was put on setriline 3 years ago after my first of many anxiety attacks i recently went to see another doc who percribed me popranolol actually went to the dentist last week i.wS petrified and embarrased of what she was going to say but once i sat and talked to her for half an hour sje took my tooth out and i cried and cried due to being so realieved and proud and i couldnt believe that was it all that worrying for 15 years just for that 20 second takeout which may i add i didnt feel a thing. If u need anymore advice or Chat let me know

Nathan246
13-07-12, 08:28
Thankyou all for your responses, its good to get support and understanding from you. Iv finished the antibiotics now so need to find a dentist to see soon. Iv been finding out about local dentists and need to arrange to go and see some to find one that is good with very nervous patients and will take there time with me.