PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - too much, too soon?

Elle-Kay
06-07-12, 11:48
I've been having a 'blip' for a while now, with panic attacks over things that last year I could cope with without any problems. I think this is mainly due to stresses at work, and particularly frustrations at not being in the career I've trained for. I've addressed this recently by handing in my notice at work to allow me to concentrate on getting over the panic before I look for work in the right sector. Today though I received a phone call asking me to interview for a 2-3 month project beginning at the end of this month in my sector. This would be a big step forward in my career, not least because it's a prestigious project, but I'm scared - is it too much, too soon?! The worst thing I could possibly do, I think, would be to accept the post and then have to back out during the project.

The project would involve living away from home during the week for the 2-3 months (in a shared house with 2 other project workers), which is a big deal for me with my agoraphobia. I've recently started Robin Hall's CBT4Panic course, but I'm not yet onto the third (practice) book, and haven't had the opportunity to put the theory into practice yet. I've accepted the interview, but I wonder now if I should back out, and concentrate on my original plan of getting over the panic before I push my career forward?

robinhall
06-07-12, 20:45
Hi Elle-Kay
Please feel free to PM me if you want more help with the programme and maybe I could help you to gauge how ready you might be to take this step.

Not sure how recently you started the course but it does take a while to ingest the first two workbooks.

Can I also suggest that you talk with a member of the forum potato11 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=39779)

She has had a very similar experience and I know she would be very willing to help by sharing her experiences.

Cheers
Robin

Elle-Kay
08-07-12, 10:00
Hi Robin. Thanks for your reply. I finished reading workbook 2 last night. I've been approaching it by reading one book deeply, then re-reading more quickly to remind myself before I move on to the next, so if I can fit it in between the tennis and Formula 1 I'm hoping to quickly review books 1 and 2, and then move onto to book 3 today. I have a few events (smaller than the one above) that I have to do this week, so I'm quite looking forward to practising this week in preparation for a bigger family event in a couple of weeks time.

Potato11 has been in touch via PM. It will be nice to get some feedback from someone who has been in a similar situation. So often I think, we feel alone; as if we're the only one struggling, or the only one who has experienced a particular group of symptoms.

robinhall
10-07-12, 09:18
Hi Elle
You say you recently started CBT4PANIC. Please keep in mind that ideally you want to spend weeks exploring books 1 and 2 and completing all the worsheets (like the panic diary or the downward arrow technique etc)

It's important that you start book 3 well 'armed' with understanding and skills so that you can deal with anxiety as you practice graduated exposure. This needn't been such a difficult experience if you have many ways to deal with anxiety.

Glad you contacted Potato11 keep in mind she has had many 'dips' but has always returned to the practice and is still making progress. Very often its 3 steps forwards 2 steps backwards.

Anyway - hope you enjoyed the tennis - felt sad for Andy but he gave his best :-)

Robin

Elle-Kay
11-07-12, 11:32
Hi Robin. Thanks for your message. I have decided to withdraw from the application process for the project I mentioned after all. As I said to Potato11 I feel like I need to concentrate on 'project me' for a while, then I can (hopefully) apply for all the jobs/projects I want, without them being compromised by panic.

I do have a few questions about the program. They're probably silly, and part of my 'wrong' approach to panic, but I'd like to ask anyway. I'll PM/email you, if that is ok.

MiniatureDisasters
11-07-12, 18:15
I'd advise going along to the interview. I can't speak for the programme you're doing, but from my experience, you get over panic by living and putting yourself in situations and learning from them. This sounds like a great opportunity for you.