PDA

View Full Version : Side effects to expect

blue_haired_devil
07-07-12, 15:19
Just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what I might experience from their own experiences.

I'm on day 8 now and feeling a bit odd. Sometimes I don't feel too bad and then I feel awful. The GP did say to expect to feel worse and that it would take a few weeks to work.

Would just love to know others early experiences and when they felt it all kicked in?

poppy1
08-07-12, 11:10
I have been on Seroxat for 14 years. Tried unsuccessfully several times to come off it. I am now down to 0.4mg using the liquid. The drops i do are miniscule, 0.1ml a time. By doing it this slowly, i find that my mood is low after around 4 days for 2 days then it evens out. I dont seem to have the physical side affects any more. Im on citalopram which is a great help and easy to withdraw off. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Sorry i thought you were trying to come off it. Didnt read the question!

blue_haired_devil
08-07-12, 12:05
Thanks for your reply poppy. No I'm just starting it in the hopes it will help me as I'm really at the end of my rope.

Today and yesterday I've felt very odd and am hoping this is temporary and will fade as I am on the meds longer.

blue_haired_devil
10-07-12, 11:32
Feeling pretty awful today. Hoping this self hatred will pass soon.

julieannboo
11-07-12, 16:30
Feeling pretty awful today. Hoping this self hatred will pass soon.

sorry to hear this - have you been to paxilprogress.org?

blue_haired_devil
11-07-12, 16:32
That site seems to be for people coming off sexorat, not going onto it.

blue_haired_devil
13-07-12, 14:54
Yesterday was my worst so far. I had to get my husband to take me to my parents in the end just to get me out of the house. It doesn't help that I have mobility problems so rely on him to take me out places. It'll be 2 weeks on Saturday, so it is still early days. Unfortunately my in-laws are coming next week so not sure how that's going to pan out :/

lauz_lea
13-07-12, 22:10
Hi BHD - when I first took paroxetine many years ago I had a rough 3 weeks at first, but weeks 3-6 were far easier, and by 6 weeks the side effects had pretty much gone and I felt fab. I had the same experience the second time I took it. I know everyone is different, but it was by far the best AD I have taken, although amongst the worst start up side effects I have experienced.

I know everyone is different, but hang on in there, it's still early days and its a very effective med. I took it for anx, OCD, DP, DR and depression and it tackled all five 100% at 20mg, and later, for many years at just 10mg. There are a lot of horror stories about this med, and indeed, websites dedicated to it, but my biggest regret is ever coming off it in the first place (good old GP's hey).

blue_haired_devil
26-07-12, 05:25
Hi BHD - when I first took paroxetine many years ago I had a rough 3 weeks at first, but weeks 3-6 were far easier, and by 6 weeks the side effects had pretty much gone and I felt fab. I had the same experience the second time I took it. I know everyone is different, but it was by far the best AD I have taken, although amongst the worst start up side effects I have experienced.

I know everyone is different, but hang on in there, it's still early days and its a very effective med. I took it for anx, OCD, DP, DR and depression and it tackled all five 100% at 20mg, and later, for many years at just 10mg. There are a lot of horror stories about this med, and indeed, websites dedicated to it, but my biggest regret is ever coming off it in the first place (good old GP's hey).

I'm 3 and a half weeks in and feeling much better. It certainly was very hard in the 2nd week and I was close to throwing in the towel but I'm glad I didn't. Most people I've spoken to have said week 6 is the key, so looking forward to that now.

lauz_lea
26-07-12, 21:09
I'm so glad you're feeling better. I was wondering how you were getting on. Hopefully you'll find things ease even more over the coming weeks until you don't even think about how you feel anymore, or analyse etc.

I'm not really sure why it has such a bad press (although I'm sure there are those who will inform me thusly), from what I've read about other AD meds, they're all much the same - you either get on well with it or you don't, and when its time to consider reducing, you'll either experience withdrawal symptoms or you won't. The side effects and withdrawal effects are all pretty much the same with SSRI's, but what you personally experience with one med you may not with another.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck, sounds like you're on the gentle uphill slope now, rather than the steep rocky mountain path.