PDA

View Full Version : New to Health Anxiety

Worrier12
09-07-12, 08:43
Hi I am new to this Forum, and Anxiety I guess. I am 20, and have been suffering with what I believe to be general anxiety disorder, and health anxiety for about 6 weeks now. I have been incredibly stressed over the past 6 months, and suffered a panic attack which started in the morning at work one day after feeling like my breathing was restricted. I had an ambulance called out who confirmed it was a panic attack - I felt like I was having a heart attack however, and thought I was going to die!

Since then I have 'heart palpitations', and feelings that my heart 'skips' a beat. I panicked about this a lot, as it started the day before I was due to go on Holiday. I spent the whole holiday thinking about it, and anytime we left the hotel I felt faint, restricted breathing, like I was going to pass out, and sick.

Since coming back, I experience blurry/distorted vision, especially in the morning when going to work. Things far away seem distorted. I feel a bit unbalanced, and get dizzy especially when standing or sitting up quickly. This is something which I used to get, and presumed it was as I was growing as a teen, but never this bad.

I had a feeling in the back of my throat sometimes as if something is pulling, and it feels like I can feel it along the back of my head in my brain. I also had a headache for 3 days straight, and it felt like I could feel my heart beat in the back of my head. My heart often races when I worry. I constantly fear I am going blind, and have a brain tumour. Sometimes I see 'floaters' in my eye when looking at a pale background if I concentrate on it. I feel sick very often, normally with the distorted vision.

Does anyone else have these symptoms, or should I be worried that it's something serious? I saw a doctor who said it's probably anxiety, but I'm still paranoid as hell that I have some brain tumour, blood clot, circulation problem or something. I often get really big veins, some that are painful, and get little spasms all over my body that feels like a vein, but could be muscle.

I get heart racing
I spent my whole holiday thinking I had a major heart problem, until being taken to hospital by ambulance with panick attack, had ECG, and confirmed ok - they too (spain) suggested anxiety,
Distorted vision with nausea
Pains in head and throat
Breathing feels somethered or restricted sometimes
I easily get pins and needles from resting my arm or leg on something (this is what makes me feel I have poor circulation) - this started over past few weeks
I stepped off a kerb the other day, and suddenly felt as if my heart was beating really fast, and as if there was a pressure on my heart.
Someone knocked on the door the other day- this startled me, and I could literally feel a loud knocking (my pulse) on the back of my head, and in my right ear.

I am teriffied I have some major illness, and need some reassurance, or if these symptoms aren't regular anxiety symptoms then I guess I need to get to the ER! Would very much appreciate it.

I constantly find myself Googling smyptoms (atleast once a day) of various things - heart problems, cancer, brain tumour etc, it's taking over my life.

sammie23
09-07-12, 09:01
Hi hun. I'm Sammie 26. Iv had health anxiety for 6 years :-( With every symptom you have just said. I agree that is the most frightening feels. One thing I can be sure about is that it is anxciety and you are NOT dying. The headaches you are getting is through stress and worrying. I'm on my 16th day of a headache :-( The heart palpitations and skipped beats are known as ectopics. We all have them. Even people that dont have anxciety. It's just cos we are more aware of our heart we feel them. I had a 24 hour ecg and they recorded I felt over 50 ectopics in one day. They are totally harmless. I also have the smothered breathing. That's my worst. It's like I'm aware of every breath which leaves my breathing going funny ans I go dizzy and feel faint :-( I also have blurred vision and alot of floaters. The floaters dont bother me cause I no there not dangerous but the blurred is horrible. I spend most my day bloody squinting. BUT it's not all like that. They are when I'm at my worst. I have weeks where I feel on top of the world then weeks where I'll have constant panic attacks. Remember that life's a rollercoaster and we just have to ride because it will pass. You haven't always had it have you? Are you on meds? X

Worrier12
09-07-12, 09:15
Thanks for your reply Sammie, very reassuring to know that other people experience the same symptoms :) I've only had this for about 6 weeks, I think brought on by stress from tinnitus/financial stress and relationship problems. I think the tinnitus may actually be due to stress however - at the time I thought I had an acoustic neuroma!

I'm not on meds - although doctor saiid he would prescribe be prozac, but would be reluctant to before I tried counselling. Not really sure how the counsellor will help me though! Am going to give it a go anyway, because I would do anything to feel normal again! My other hald has been going through severe depression over past 6 months (seems to be stable atm), and was on prozac, I saw some horrible size effects. Wish there was something other than Prozac I could take. I tried Kalms, but didn't really see any effect. thought it could be more of a placebo. Any non prescription drugs you would recommend?

shocker 17
09-07-12, 09:25
hi worrier12 iam in the same boat ive had it bad since a lost my mum to cancer iam on cit 30mg a day i get all the things u have just keep postive and u will get there

sammie23
09-07-12, 09:25
Prozac worked great for me :-) I was on 20mg. At the moment I'm on 30mg of citalopram. I do think you need meds. It sounds quite bad your anxciety and I think if it was going to get better it would have after 6 weeks so me personally, take the meds. Everyone reacts different to medication. Also mention to ur gp a drug called propranolol. Im on that aswel. It's a better blocker that gives instant relief from anxciety. I have something called rescue remedy spray. A natural remedy I bought. When I feel myself getting worked up or panic I spray 2 squirts on my tongue. It helps x

Worrier12
09-07-12, 09:35
Thanks a lot :) I will try rescue remedy, see how the counselling helps (although not so optimistic) and if that fails, will try the prozac. Did you get any bad side effects from Prozac? My other half had vomiting, feeling 'detached from her body', twitches

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Thanks shocker 17, I am sorry to hear about your Mum.

sammie23
09-07-12, 09:44
The only side effects I had off Prozac was feeling like my eyes was burning ( dry eyes). I honestly think it's in are head. There is other meds apart from Prozac although Prozac is very good. X

shocker 17
09-07-12, 09:45
whats the worse time of day u get anxitey mine is in the morning and i hate monday mornings

Worrier12
09-07-12, 10:12
I'd definitely say in the mornings, and often when going to work, because I'm very worried about having anxiety at work, and letting it get in the way of my job. I have quite a key role where I work, so attendance is important. So far not missed a day due to anxiety, but I've only had this for 6 weeks so far.

At the moment I am at work, feeling incredibly sick, dizzy, eyes are a bit blurry/distorted. Just went to the bathroom, and almost was sick. All that's going through my head is 'brain tumour!', when I know that's probably ridiculous. Just arranged a doctors appointment for Friday, think I may have to take these meds, because this is unbearable now. Supposed to be seeing a counsellor in 4 weeks, but that's too far away

potato11
09-07-12, 11:08
Hi Worrier!!

You sound exactly like I was. except I didn't go to a&e cause my mum is a nurse and she could see it was a panic attack the first time.

I reallllly recommend the links in my signature. You really need to learn the ropes of anxiety, and with gradual practice you will come to truly believe that the sensations are a product of anxiety (though it doesnt feel like it in a million years!!!!)

:)

CBT is essential for this. The online course recommended here by NMP is called CBT4PANIC, its online, free trial, and you get email support from the creator Robin, who is a cbt therapist and had panic/agoraphobia himself.

Everyone must think I get commission from Robin or something because I recommend him constantly!!! but it is thanks to him that I am well on the road to recovery. I am a student midwife and began having panic attacks at the beginning of my second year (its a 3 year course) and I finish in september - wanted to give up loads of times, but cbt and robin have kept me going, and guess what - today I have hd a job offer at St Mary's hospital in Manchester! wahoo!

So try the CBT!! i can testify it is brill.