PDA

View Full Version : New to this site

starburst
09-07-12, 23:22
Hi everyone

I found this site tonight and think its just great. Reading some of the articles has already made me feel calmer and lessened some of the feelings of panic. I'm hoping to get lots of inspiration and help from people who also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

I have been taking citalopram now for 8 weeks and had seen a marked improvement in the panic attacks, in fact they had completely disappeared. However, had a big one on Saturday afternoon, triggered by something really small and I'm still reeling from the affects of it. I had thought the medication was working and was feeling very positive but have found this unexpected panic attack has really set me back weeks. And I find it difficult to understand why this happened. However, reading the article tonight on panic attacks has given me some form of comfort - I supposed I just have to see it as a mild setback and need to put it there and move on.

Anyway, I'd welcome comments from anyone.

Thanks

noworries
09-07-12, 23:41
Hi,
I too have just joined tonight and I agree it is good to read other peoples thoughts and experiences. Sometimes it is easy to feel like you are a weirdo or a burden when you get bad thoughts or destructive thoughts, I have been on citalopram before, usually in the winter but recently I have decided to try and stop my negative and irrational fear of death and illness in a more mental and direct way, tomorrow I embark on an IAPT course at my GP and I am a bit nervous because Im not sure who it will be with, I am a nervous wreck in hospitals and doctors and sometimes my emotions run wild and I get anxiety etc.

But Starburst, do not worry that you have had that attack, I found they were brilliant and keep most fear or panic at a minimum but also, this is a chemical reaction we are talking about, and they are sometimes unpredictable, keep positive and eventually you will learn how to stay positive and focussed, xo

nomorepanic
09-07-12, 23:44
Hi starburst

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Tiel
10-07-12, 00:30
:welcome: to NMP! Hope you find yourself at home here. :)

BobbyDog
10-07-12, 05:49
Citalopram is a fantastic drug for anxiety, I used to take it and I felt like I could take on the world at the time, it saw me through some very difficult times in my life.
You seem to be very positive about about your anxiety and I am sure your recent setback was just a blip.

Two steps forwads and only one step back, you will get there with determination.:)