PDA

View Full Version : Help with where to start the Diazepam Withdrawal process.....

Liseyloo
10-07-12, 10:41
Hi
My husband is diazepam dependant. He has been self medicating with diazepam for around 4/5 as he as battled with anxiety and panic attacks since being a boy. (Prior to the diaz, he self medicated with alcohol) He purchased 2 large quantities on 2 visits to India which kept him comfortably numb and able to function on a day to day basis. *Until he ran out. He was able to get some from a regular source, approx 100 x 10mg a month.*

On the occasions where he ran out and the withdrawal symptoms surfaced he put these down to his anxiety illness, when I started to research it about 8 months ago, I realised he was addicted. I confronted him but disagreed saying it was better that he popped the pills than drinking copious amounts of booze.

The pills are becoming harder and harder to come by, so recently the bouts of 'cold turkey' withdrawal have become more frequent, this clearly takes its toll on me and our 2 small children.

He then recently did his own research, as he about 2 months ago he agreed he was addicted and wants to come off them.

We are undertaking a DIY detox, as he is unable to go to the GP as this will affect his medical records. He says he takes them as and when, somedays he may have 5-8+ pills and somedays he says he has none. I calculated that 100 over 4 weeks works out at an average of about 35mg a day, should this be the starting point of the tapering process?*

As he gets them from an undesirable source, I am concerned about the tapering by small amounts and the best way to deal with this?

I have also researched a little into supplements that may help, but if you could give any advice on these I would be grateful.*

I would very much appreciate any advice and tips you could share.
thanks in advance x

Alabasterlyn
10-07-12, 10:59
So sorry to hear of your husbands problem. The best advice I can give is for your husband to have a look at the Heather Ashton Manual and follow the withdrawal plan on there as it's probably the best method out there and one that a good GP would probably suggest.

If you look here you will see the suggested withdrawal plan for Diazepam

Ashton Manual (http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s2)