PDA

View Full Version : Major relationship problems causing anxiety

antique
10-07-12, 13:56
Any constructive criticism/advice/opinions welcomed.

I suffered with serious depression and anxiety about 15 years ago - had GAD for years - thankfully that's all behind me but I still have a few issues, mainly travelling abroad (can't get the courage to do it).

Anyway, I have been worrying about the state of my relationship recently and what possible future I might have, so a few symptoms have returned i.e bad dreams, churning stomach, can't sleep.

My bf and I have been together for 10 years but have separate houses and live together part time. We are both in our late 40's and have a joint business.

I feel I have been living in limbo for years because he will not move in with me (doesn't like the area) and I do not like his house because he lives right on a busy main road, the house is small and requires lots of renovation work (still has the original 40 yr old carpets/curtains from the previous occupant, dry rot etc). He doesn't give a damn about the state of the house because he never intended making it his permanent home and he will not buy a house with me in this area.

I am Welsh, he is English and although he has lived half his life in Wales he hates it here. Our relationship has been strained because of his racism - always slagging off Welsh people for their faults, and the country because it rains a lot, there is no money or opportunity here (he says).

I am not blind to these criticisms and there are things I dislike about Wales too but I am sick of the constant whingeing.

He is desperate to return to England when his last child goes to college in 2 years and says he will leave with or without me. It is all he talks about and he is counting down the days. I do not get a choice in the move, it has to be the South East where he originally came from. He has no plans, no idea of where he will live or what he will do as long as he is not here. He is struggling financially and believes there is more money in the South.

His constant moaning is spoiling my life and he is angry that I won't help him financially to make the move by selling my house. My problem is that I don't really want to move now because I have friends here and my only family - no siblings or kids - are parents in their 80's and not in brilliant health. I like the area where I live as it is near a national park, not far from the coast, has lovely countryside and good road links.

Admitedly, the weather is better in Kent/Sussex and they are closer to the Channel for ease of travelling. But property is expensive and I would feel guilty leaving my parents to fend for themselves. That doesn't concern him because he can't stand them and they don't like him.

He has no hobbies or interests, doesn't get involved with anything and is continually referring to getting older. I know he is also depressed but he blames me for his state of mind.

I am getting depressed with this whole scenario and feel like running away myself! Maybe he is right and I have wasted my life in this 'backwater'. I dread the thought of being left alone as he loves me and I love him. Would I regret not moving?

BobbyDog
10-07-12, 14:18
I have been in a similar relationship, I had been with my partner for 12 years, he lives in Dorset and I live in West Yorkshire. We have lived together in the past in both counties. As far as I am concerned our relationship had come to the end of the road, our recent holiday together proved it to me. He hates 'northerner'', yet he was with one for 12 years.

There is a big difference though, I am no longer in love with him. You two still love each other, so perhaps you should carry on regardless.

I also think that anxiety plays a big part in our uncertaincies, we anylse everything to the point of obsession.

I had a long distance relationship for many years, could you cope with that?

Do you have family or friends that you can talk to about this?

I hope you sort it out.:)

antique
11-07-12, 14:43
Hi
Thanks Bobbydog for your post.
I know that he would not even consider a long distance relationship and I'm not interested in that either.

Family and friends think I should let him go away. He is close to ending things over this and other issues, notably my reluctance to travel abroad. To be honest, I am also sick of my fears and there are many places I would like to visit so going to have to do something about that. (He gave me an ultimatum a few years ago and threatened to end the relationship).

When I think about things, I guess I think of myself as a failure - Never had kids, been married, travelled the world.....:weep:

BobbyDog
11-07-12, 14:55
Hi
Thanks Bobbydog for your post.
I know that he would not even consider a long distance relationship and I'm not interested in that either.

Family and friends think I should let him go away. He is close to ending things over this and other issues, notably my reluctance to travel abroad. To be honest, I am also sick of my fears and there are many places I would like to visit so going to have to do something about that. (He gave me an ultimatum a few years ago and threatened to end the relationship).

When I think about things, I guess I think of myself as a failure - Never had kids, been married, travelled the world.....:weep:

Don't listen to family and friends, of course they think you should let him go, they see how unhappy you are and want the best for you, but their feelings are one sided, your side. Only you can make that decision.

Millions of people have not been married, had kids, or travelled the world; and millions of people are happy without having done so.

You have high expectations for yourself, which I think most anxiety sufferer's do. We aim for the sky and spend our lives worrying because we never get there.

If you have the support of your family, I am sure they will be there for you whatever decision you make.:blush:

meche
11-07-12, 16:30
It's a difficult one. I was with a guy for 4 years who was in the Army. He was from Hull but stationed where I live (Oxford). He always intended to move back home when he left the Army and wanted me to go with him. I was open to the idea and went back home with him numerous times and even went house-hunting - but it didn't feel right. He agreed to stay here with me but once he left the Army he changed and I could tell he wasn't happy. Things were fast changing between us and we amicably agreed to go our separate ways because neither of us was willing to compromise.

I think the point is neither of you can stop the other from doing what they really want to do. Sometimes you just have to let go. I'm not saying that's what you should do but if it's making you anxious, unhappy and depressed then maybe you need to take a step back for a while. If you're really meant to be together then you'll both find a way. Good luck. xx