PDA

View Full Version : citralopram help wanted

sazlebazle
10-07-12, 17:24
ive been prescribed today 10mg of citraolpram and im scared stiff to take it last time i gave up after 3 days as i was so ill i couldnt get of the sofa or out of bed thing is ive been so ill with anxiety the doctor says this is the only thing that will get me on my feet as i cant take beta blocker although they work brilliantly they cause my asthma to play up ..... my question is does it work cutting the pill in half or even a 1/4 i know it will take longer to get in the system but will i miss the side effects as such ... i cant afford to have any time of work and im a single parent so need to have my wits about me i feel like im banging my head and have no way to turn ...
also is it better to take them at night
any advice greatly recieved ideally good stories lol xx

laura442
10-07-12, 20:50
Hi sazle,

I started 7 days ago now. First day I took a crumb, the doctor said I could to get my confidence with it as Ive needed meds for years but have always been petrified to take any. So day 1 a crumb, the next 4 days a quarter and the last 2 days half. I have had a little bit of dizziness today but only lasted 10 secs or so. Felt a little nausea on the first 2 days but a "normal" person prob wouldnt have noticed it ! It scares me every day to take it but I know eventually it will be worth it. The doctor tells me that its the mildest ones and the se's if any (many people have messaged me on here sayng they didnt get any) will be mild and that certainly is my experience so far. I was where you are seven days ago and I would say I am definately experiencing less anxiety so far I just am keeping my mind busy. Dont know how long I will be on a half for until I am ready to go up I guess. I would definately say start with quarters altho its quite hard as they are so small.

Jon1979
10-07-12, 22:56
I've been taking it for 2 weeks now, I was prescribed 20 mg but because im shocking at taking meds (I'd rather sit with a headache than take a paracetomol) my GP said take 10mg for a few days to start off with. Anyway, I was really scared of taking it, but I got up the following morning and took it. I did feel a bit off for a few days, like a bit spaced out, tired and sickly but it has mostly passed now. I am just looking forward to them doing their magic now :)

I have found as well that its better for me if I take them with food so I dont feel as sick, so I generally have it after my breakfast. I know everybody is different. My GP did say to me though if the SE's were really bad to try and take it before bed, but i havent needed to.

I've got to say though the side effects have been far less bothersome than my anxiety symptoms. I just keep thinking that it will be worth it and that gets me through :)

Jon

sazlebazle
11-07-12, 16:50
today was my first day on a 1/4 and it took me ages to take it last night but eventually it was my son saying mum are you gonna take that tablet or just stare at it that i thought right im doing this lol
today ive felt ok the odd wave of tiredness and a little dizzy and shakey but i think its just me winding myself up ..... im going to keep taking the 1/4 for a week and then go up to half im in no rush and want as little side effects as possible
i just want to feel better and i know in the long run they will work its just the waiting that drives me mad i hope im one of the ones who feels better quickly :)

Richard1960
11-07-12, 17:36
Hi All

I am on Citalopram 20 mg at the moment with the doc talking abot upping to 30mg,it has worked brilliantly for me far btter then seroxat ever did and with fewer side effects for me at least,although everyone will be different.

My doctor said Citalopram would be best for me not beta blockers and it is, the only side effect is its making me feel drowsy,but compared to how i was feeling and using alcohol to self medicate thats a small price to pay for me.

But as i have said different meds work for different people.

Richard. x:)

sazlebazle
11-07-12, 17:51
luckily i only need to get up to 10mg thats all i need to take i dont think i could imagine taking anymore and 10mg seems a long way of lol i just want to be able to do everyday things nothing really exciting but just be able to do school run and go to work and im sat waiting for side effects to kick in ..... 1 hour to go and ill be taking my next 1/4 so that means i have 5mg in me lol i think its going to be a long journey :) x

Richard1960
11-07-12, 17:57
Hi

Yes thats lucky you can do that ok,but my symptoms were quite severe and the worst of the two evils for me was the alcohol.

But good luck getting up to your full tablet :D.

I hope it works for you Richard.

laura442
11-07-12, 18:58
im on my 3rd day of half a tablet today and NOTHING ! no dizziness no sickness and believe me ive been waiting for it all day lol. After a few days of a quarter you will feel brave enough to go up to a half, I thought Id be on quarter for ages but only 4 days and I got a little braver. Well done you are being brave I know exactly how you feel. xxx

sazlebazle
12-07-12, 15:38
today is my second day on 1/4 and i feel like pants ..... headachy and my anxiety and dizzyness is out the roof :( tempted to ring doctor and see if i can take the propranolol for a couple of days even of its bad for my asthma im worried im not going to be able to get my son to school and work tomorrow and next week i really want to get up to 5mg at least but it seems ages away x

Richard1960
12-07-12, 15:45
Hi

Please do not take offence but have you thought your anxiety about taking the drug could be causing your headaches and other symptoms.

A quarter of a tablet is hardly anything.

You do seem really worried about Citalopram and certainly do not seem to be taking it as prescribed .

To be honest if the thought of taking it is worrying you so much i would revist your GP and have a chat.

I wish you well i really hope you are able to sort things out.Richard.

sazlebazle
12-07-12, 15:50
i have thought that but my doctor keeps saying its the only way ill get better anxiety is my only problem but cause i have asthma they are limited to what they can give me ..... propranolol work a treat but they make my chest tight :( x

Richard1960
12-07-12, 16:00
I woul have thought they could give you seroxat or similar but one thing is with all the type of drugs you are likely to be prescribed they can have the effect of side effects you describe before your body actually settles down to taking them,mine always have in other words you could feel worse before you feel better,thats just one of the downsides but 10mg is a lowish dose.

Ask yourself which is worse the illness or the chance to recover,i would say at least give the Citalopram a proper try and try and finish this course i am sure your doctor knows best what will help you.

If you need a chat i am around all the best Richard.

sazlebazle
12-07-12, 16:56
hi thanks for the reply ive spoke to my doctor and she has prescribed me some amitriptyline 10mg before bed so who knows i wanna stick with it and get better but it seems so far away i wish in a way i could hide away at home for a couple of weeks but having to do school run and work im struggling and unfortunately i have no help ..... but im gonna try and stick with it x

Richard1960
12-07-12, 17:01
Great stuff hope it works for you really pleased you seem to have resolved your situation regarding meds i have felt like hidng away before but unfortunately could not either.Richard.:)

sazlebazle
17-07-12, 08:24
ok after the worst weekend of my life ive totally given up on the medication i dont think ive ever felt so ill i upped the tablets to 10mg and thought i was gonna die at one point obviously i knew i wouldnt but thats how i felt my mum had to come and collect me and take me to her house where ive been for the last 2 days :( ive finally realised ssris arent for me im now trying the cbt route and taking stemetil which ive taken on and of for years so fingers crossed this new route will work for me ...... good luck to everyone on their journey xx

laura442
17-07-12, 18:10
oh thats a shame you had such a bad time sazle x did you go from a quarter to a whole tablet ? i did a week on a quarter a week on a half and just took my first whole one today and I have felt ok today but have had some dodgy times but managed to get through it. Unfortunately with ssri's some people do get side effects but they dont last forever I am just trying to think every day I take one is a day towards getting better. Hope fully at another time you will feel brave to try again and go up more slowly like i have done xxxx

sazlebazle
18-07-12, 08:16
i couldnt handle it laura i was on half a tablet and felt so bad i had to get the emmergency doctor out and she told me the tablet wouldnt even be touching the sides and to just go up to 10mg which i did and i thought i was gonna die lol it was to much i live on my own with my son and i felt i couldnt look after him properly and my anxiety was out the roof ive got some amitriptyline that i can try at a later date maybe when my son is at his dads for a couple of weeks ive heard the side effects arent as bad with them but this experience has put me of for now im still a state now and its out my system good luck with yours i hope they work for you xx

laura442
18-07-12, 08:56
Yes you sound as scared as I was and I have moved back to my parents to take them so when I have had dodgy times they have gone for a walk with me , a drive, played games ect anything to take my mind off it. It has taken all the bravery I had left in me but I couldnt carry on how I was and I least I now know there is light at the end of the tunnel. Could you stay with your mum when you try again ? I so hope you can start them again soon, I have done a week at a quarter a week at a half and now on my second day of a whole tablet and my anxiety is definately better. I have had a couple of bad days but you do survive and it doesnt kill you xxx