PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack and convulsions

Skakitty
10-07-12, 19:21
Hi guys,

I need some advice about what to do now.

I've suffered from anxiety/panic attacks for nearly 15 years now. I have good years where I don't have anything, and bad when they are several times a month (usually with general anxiety)

I've seen numerous therapists, CBT, meds etc -could probably quote the whole DSM backwards, as i know a lot of you can probably!

They have changed in the last few years. When I have a severe one (where i can't self soothe or calm down quickly) I have started having convulsions.

It started in 2009 when I was under a lot of stress at work, and since then it's happened 4 more times (all at work places)

It happens like this:

I have a few panic attacks linked together, but I can deal ok (not by myself, but not with hysterical crying :D), with first aiders helping me count breathing etc. I then calm down and think 'ok, cool. i feel alright now, panic attack over'
This is when I start disassociating, my eyes roll upwards and I feel like i'm above my head and can't get back into my body- I recognise people around me but can't respond. Then my whole body goes into convulsions and I can't control them. I'm fully concious and the first time they happen it's so 'out of the blue' and it scares me. When they stop, i come 'back to earth' and my head clears, and i usually start crying from the shock.

They continue for around an hour, every 15-20 mins or so. The more times that they happens in one 'session' I start disassociate less each time and the more control I have (ie: if I really really concentrate hard on breathing, I can lessen the muscle flailing so its just shaking and twitching and straining)

I've had the ambulance called out, because it has been at the work place, and i've had blood work and ECGs done - they all come back normal as I knew they would.

So... has any one has similar experiences? can offer any advice on how I should treat this?

I'm unsure why they have escalated to this level, but I want them to downgrade! normal attacks I can deal with pretty well (if i do say so myself) but these are something else :scared15:

PanchoGoz
10-07-12, 22:56
That sounds more like a fit than a panic attack, twitching I've heard of but not rolling eyes and flailing limbs unless you are exaggerating! I think you should go back to your doctor and get checked for epilepsy. The "disassociation" sounds like depersonalisation.

isthisasgdasitgets
11-07-12, 01:30
Hi, sorry to hear your having a hard time of it at the mo. I'm no doctor, and don't want to worry you unnecessarily but the symptoms your describing do sound like a fit....(I have witnessed several epileptic fits in my job)
If I was you I would go back to your GP and get it checked out...it will put your mind at rest at least.
Hope you're doing ok

LilyPad1991
11-07-12, 05:48
A friend of mine has a similar problem. After much investigation, ECGs, EEGs, MRI, blood tests, etc etc, there is nothing physically wrong with her and she has been diagnosed with non-epileptic type seizures brought on by stress. She contracted meningitis four-ish years ago and although she has made a full recovery (thank god) it has apparently left her susceptible to this type of problem; stress is a direct trigger to these unpleasant occurrences. She was also diagnosed with depression and anxiety after recovering from meningitis, which is apparently another common feature in people post meningitis recovery...

But I would definitely go and see your doctor and get a referred to a neurologist.

Skakitty
11-07-12, 12:31
Thank you all the replies. I'm pretty sure it's not epilipsy because i'm concious the whole way through but i have booked a Drs appt tonight and I'll let you know the results. :)

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

[QUOTE=PanchoGoz;1012894]That sounds more like a fit than a panic attack, twitching I've heard of but not rolling eyes and flailing limbs unless you are exaggerating!QUOTE]

Heh, I wish I was! I hurt my head and grazed my eblow last time it happened. I guess the easiest way to discribe them is to think of a tantrum of a toddler... writhing around on the floor, arms and legs everywhere.. but with less screaming :P

PanchoGoz
11-07-12, 13:48
Yeah let us know what he says, it will give you peace of mind to find out :)

Skakitty
11-07-12, 22:19
Hi Guys,

I've been to the doctor, she was really nice and listened to me well. She told me that her best guess without seeing the convulsions is that they are due to prolonged hyperventilation causes changes in the blood, i think a drop in calcium? anyway, it's made me feel much better!

isthisasgdasitgets
11-07-12, 22:34
Hi Guys,

I've been to the doctor, she was really nice and listened to me well. She told me that her best guess without seeing the convulsions is that they are due to prolonged hyperventilation causes changes in the blood, i think a drop in calcium? anyway, it's made me feel much better!

Glad you've seen your doctor and you feel better for it :)

PanchoGoz
11-07-12, 23:13
Well I never! Good to know she isn't worried. Take care x