PDA

View Full Version : Update - Still panic FREE!

Scaredtoolong
26-05-04, 02:45
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd pop in to give you an update and to the new members perhaps some encouragement. Life without panic is...POSSIBLE!

As some of you may remember... "I was THE worst case of panic disorder"....Ha ha.

Since my recovery began (again a million thanks to Nicola, Meg and this group for your help) life has just progessed into "normal" whatever that is. I now know what it isn't....it isn't having panic 24/7. It isn't fear every little tummy twinge, heart flutter, lightheadedness, etc. It is knowing that 99% of those symptoms were brought on or exaggerated by my own FEAR. We create the "monster" and we are the only ones that can tame him.

I have had these little realizations that occur...for example...I was in the department store and I was standing under the air conditioner vent in the checkout line. I got chilled, so I folded my arms. When I did I noticed I could FEEL my heart beating. It seemed to be beating kind of rapidly. During my panic days, that would have immediately thrown me into full blown panic. On that particular day I realized that 1. My heart was beating fast because I had been in a hurry that day to get my shopping done...2. Because I was aggravated that the cashier was slow and the line was long. My heart was beating fast because that was a NORMAL reaction under the circumstances.

What we panic sufferers don't realize is that it we create our own panic. We exaggerate normal feelings. I know it SEEMS to come out of the blue. I could be watching tv or lying down trying to go to sleep and BAM a panic attack would hit me out of no-where. Or so it seemed. NOW...I realize these were just NORMAL physical reactions to everyday life occurences that I had blown out of proportion. So I am a little tired. Of course I am going to feel foggy headed. So, I am irritated because this is taking too long or someone cut me off in traffic, of course my heart is going to beat faster and I might breath a little faster and shallower. NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL! If we could all just realize that we are doing this (creating panic) to ourselves...Dr.Claire Weeks said it best..."You are being bluffed, duped by normal physical sensations." It's funny, but when I read her books and listened to her tapes back then, it just didn't register. Now it all makes sense. Another hahaha.

Well, before this turns into a novel...I hope that this helps someone who is on the road to recovery. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Take care ALL!
Hugs, Susan

Meg
26-05-04, 05:52
Susan ,

I'm so pleased to hear this news.. and that you found your help here .

Many congratulations indeed

Thanks for taking the time to come back and let us know.

Didn't you have family that were affected too... How are they all doing ?

Meg

Scaredtoolong
26-05-04, 15:00
Meg,

Honestly and truly, you were my salvation. Those email replies you sent kept me striving to end the panic. You were such an inspiration!!! I can never thank you all enough. I don't know if you recall...but I had read every book, listened to every taped program and vistied EVERY website in the internet. This group made it all so real. And that was the hard part for me. Trying to figure out what was "normal" for panic. That's an oxymoron of sorts, isn't it? Seems like I had 99 out of 100 of the typical symptoms.

Yes, my sisters, mom and two daughters. My one sister is doing great! My youngest sister is still on Paxil and Klonopin. She has been for 11 years now. She never had any real troublesome side effects so I guess she is ok with staying on meds indefinitely.

Mom is the one who originally told me to just "get over it" so to speak. She is still fine, even though she has faced the deaths of both a sister and brother in a years time. God bless her.

My daughter's are fine. They saw me beat this without meds and decided to take that route. I guess there really is a true disposition to the condition. I don't think it is hereditary though. Not in the sense of genes.

Thanks for you all you've done
Hugs, Susan

imported_n/a
26-05-04, 19:36
WOW nice one susan,,i am battling with it all at the moment but hey with storys like yours ,,gives me a real lift thanks mate and all the best for the future,,,
how long had you suffered><<???/
xxxxdarrenxxx

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""