PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks

Cherriecupcakes
10-07-12, 22:18
I've had panic attacks for quite a few years now and I can't seem to get myself out of it. I can be absolutely anywhere, in the car, watching tv, eating dinner, and now I hate eating out because I just know I will have a panic attack. I do worry a lot and think something bad is going to happen, it never does though. It would be really helpful I could perhaps get some breathing techniques or other ways to get myself easily out of it! :wacko:

m.elise
10-07-12, 22:58
Have you seen your doctor about these things? I would highly recommend doing so.

I understand how it's hard not to worry. About everything. It really takes a lot of strength to be able to focus on positive things. But it is possible! Just try to take one thing at a time. You're doing a great job by seeking advice on here. Hope you feel better soon.

Cherriecupcakes
11-07-12, 06:49
I have been to the doctors quite a few times but they haven't really done anything. I've had blood tests done too and it's just basically panic attacks. Thank you:)

holly1
11-07-12, 08:46
Hi if your panic attacks are disrupting your life then perhaps think about having some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This is thought to be quite effective as it makes you aware of your thought patterns that lead up to a panic attack and helps you work on changing them. You may be able to get this on the NHS or otherwise there are lots of therapists who charge.
Perhaps give it ago. I am finding it quite helpful and I only wish I had tried it a long time ago before my anxiety reached unmanageable levels.
Good luck!!:)

dan1234
11-07-12, 09:51
My suggestion - CBT + Imipramine.

First line choice would usually be a SSRI.

SLjimbo
11-07-12, 19:14
I think the best approach is CBT, but I also recommend seeing a psychiatrist or therapist as opposed to a regular doctor. They can better help you in your recovery process and prescribing the right medication for you.

Albo
18-07-12, 22:04
Hi, fear breeds panic, so if your anxious about going out you have already sewn the seed that you you will have a panic attack when you get to your destination.

The secret is to not be scared of an attack, to do this you need to understand the makings of a panic attack: adrenaline pumps around your body because you fear the attack, and your body goes in to the 'fight or flight' mode. The more you fear the attack the more intense the sensations become. Because your body (nervous system) is sensatised the sensation of your rapid heart beat it more intense. Accept that you are having sensations, like a non sufferer has and they are not going to hurt you, breath from your stomach, not your upper chest and try to relax whilst your attack occurs. Keep practicing, your attacks will become less sever and will shorten, I am now down to about 5 minutes from start to finish, where before my attacks could last up to an hour.

Dont avoid going for a meal, you just need to start practising and in time they will become easy to manage and not rule your life. I hope this helps X