PDA

View Full Version : been prescribed Propranolo 80mg slow release, anybody take this?

MidnightCalm
12-07-12, 19:51
What can I expect? I used to take 20mg and experienced no side effects.
I am just scared it will make me poorly or stop my heart or idk, does anybody/did anybody experience side effects? It's not an ssri so I preseme the effects are very mild?x

purplesky
12-07-12, 21:10
I've taken it for just over 2 years now for panic disorder.

It's fine. Slows you down a bit, but importantly stops the adrenalin response when a panic attack is imminent..

No side effects for me, heart rate no slower than 60bpm, and raises when exercising, although not as much as before.

I have gained a bit of weight on them, but nothing major.

If you have taken 20mg before then I don't think you will notice any change as they are slow release over 24hrs..it just means they are in your system if needed.

Good luck. :)

lauz_lea
12-07-12, 21:33
I was prescribed the same a couple of months ago and they work great. For me it was to go along side starting cit to lessen the side effects and its certainly worked. I no longer get the morning anx stomach churning or the racing heart beat and palps, and no noticable unwelcome side effects either.

MidnightCalm
12-07-12, 21:33
Thank you for your reply, do you (or anybody else taking them) know if it's okay to drink alcohol whilst taking them?

lauz_lea
13-07-12, 09:10
I'm not sure as I don't really drink anyway but that's mainly because I don't want anything to interfere with the meds.

MidnightCalm
13-07-12, 13:23
I have one right infront of me but I am scared to take it :( I keep worrying it'll give me horrible side effects or make me have a bad night or it could be great but I'm making myself ill with anxiety over taking it :3

lauz_lea
13-07-12, 22:00
I was the same, but I just took it, with dinner, and I was fine. The next morning I felt more settled, no tummy churning etc. IF you do get any unpleasant side effects, you can ask for a lower dose, or remove some of the little balls from inside the capsule.

frenchbean
15-07-12, 11:52
I take this and don't experience any side effects at all other than being a bit more tired maybe? I was like you and terrified of side effects so I took the first one on a day when I knew I had nothing I needed to do and when my husband was at home. If you don't like it, it's out of your system within 24 hrs but I imagine if you have taken 20mg in the past with no problems, you will be fine. X

wafflewaffle
22-08-12, 16:30
I took my 1st yesterday & my 2nd today & I feel fine, better if anything. Hope this helps x

owainm
16-09-12, 21:04
I have been on these for 4 years and they are the only thing that has helped my anxiety. When I first took them the first few weeks I felt very tired and slowed down but once I got used to them it was fine.

I drink on them and have been fine (I only drink once every couple of weeks though but have a few pints each time) everyone is different though but drinking on them has not caused me any probs. Having said that I do get terrible hangovers which increases my anxiety for a day or so but I know that it will happen and gauge how much I can drink a couple of times I have been a stupid boy and drunk more than normal, the result I spend 24hours in bed no joke,

Hope this helps cheers Owain