PDA

View Full Version : Lorazepam For flying or for anything else?

justme26
12-07-12, 21:55
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has taken lorazepam before an how it affects u? What does it feel like when u take them? Will I feel really relaxed etc. Also how many do docs normally prescribe for flying? I'm going aboard for the first time and am very afraid of heights (not sure how the plane will affect my heights but hoping it won't at all). and the doc said he'll prescribe me something stronger than diazepam as I asked for something stronger. If anyone can help would really help me out :)

xBettyBoopx
13-07-12, 02:20
Hi Justme

I don't think many here are on lorazepam, but I am! I have been on it soooooooooo long that I cannot remember how they work at first. I just thought that I ought to answer you:) What mg did the doc give you? Long time ago I used to take 1mg 3 times a day, I used to drive and work, so they didn't affect me in that respect but I do know they were they best medication I was given for anxiety. We are all different though and if you have concerns about side effects, speak again to your doc.

Sorry I can't be more help:blush:

Els

justme26
13-07-12, 09:57
Hi Elspeth, thanks for ur reply. I had a look about the forum and couldn't find much on Lorazepam either. My doc hasn't prescribed me anything at the moment because I don't fly til sept but just wanted to know if anyone has taken it,and how much. He said they will give me lorazepam or alike for my flight nearer the time. :)

dan1234
13-07-12, 13:44
What a top doctor you have. Buy him a box of chocolates the majority wouldn't prescribe lorazepam.

I would suggest asking to try a lorazepam a week or two beforehand so that you know it will work. I think he will prescribe you 1mg tablets - which are pretty strong.

Hard to say how many, but in my experience GP's prescribe about 7 ish. I have seen a generous GP prescribe 28 for 1 flight, but hey it wasn't my job to question it.

Dan

justme26
13-07-12, 17:59
Hi Dan, haha maybe I caught him on a gd day. The only thing about trying them before hand is I'm not in that situation to say whether they work, although I could test it out on my fear of heights, but I still think it's different. Also I'm scared they won't and then I don't know what else they would prescribe!? I'm hoping they give me enough to get me over the worse. When I had diazepam they gave me around 7 too which was far too much although I won't tell them that cos I might end up needing them this time round lol :) wow 28 that's more then plenty for anyone. I don't want to take it any other time just for flying. I'm already on proprandolol ( not sure if correct spelling soz) which helps anxiety but I'm on it for migraines too. Also am I right in saying that 1 mg is like 10 mg diazepam or something?

dan1234
13-07-12, 18:14
Hi Dan, haha maybe I caught him on a gd day. The only thing about trying them before hand is I'm not in that situation to say whether they work, although I could test it out on my fear of heights, but I still think it's different. Also I'm scared they won't and then I don't know what else they would prescribe!? I'm hoping they give me enough to get me over the worse. When I had diazepam they gave me around 7 too which was far too much although I won't tell them that cos I might end up needing them this time round lol :) wow 28 that's more then plenty for anyone. I don't want to take it any other time just for flying. I'm already on proprandolol ( not sure if correct spelling soz) which helps anxiety but I'm on it for migraines too. Also am I right in saying that 1 mg is like 10 mg diazepam or something?

Most sources say 1mg loraz = 10mg diazepam, a few quote 5mg.

What strength of diazepam does your GP prescribe?

justme26
13-07-12, 18:32
I'm not on diazepam but when I had MRI scan I was prescribed 2 mg and I took 2 of them. But I don't think that would be enough for this.

dan1234
13-07-12, 18:47
Okay

Personally if the diazepam worked for you last time, but you feel you need something stronger then ask for 5mg diazepam tablets. They come in 2mg, 5mg and 10mg.

Makes more sense then asking for a drug which might not work.

I was on diazepam and lorazepam didn't work for me. A few people on lorazepam have commented diazepam doesn't work for them. May be best to stick with what works - just titrate the dose.

justme26
13-07-12, 18:55
If I'm honest I don't know if they worked or not as was still panicking and that MRI scan was scary but not as scary as this. I'm understand what ur saying though. I'll hve to talk to my doctor again and ask him what's best. Thanku :)

dan1234
13-07-12, 20:26
I think lorazepam or clonazepam may be best then. A 1mg lorazepam should have you nice and calm. When I was prescribed them for exams my psychiatrist said I could take up to 2mg. roughly 20mg diaz.

6mg diaz calmed me down enough.

That is why I think its important if at all possible to test out and see what works for you.

justme26
13-07-12, 21:04
Ok thanku for ur advise. I'll let u know what they say, but won't be going To doc just yet. I will ask if I can try it out to make sure it works ok. I can't take too much or I won't be able to board my flight as they can refuse me. I don't mind what I take to be honest as long as I'm not panicking. :) my mum is a nurse and she said I shouldn't need no more than 1 mg lorazepam but she also said she's not a doc lol . Guess it depends on the day aswell.