PDA

View Full Version : Panic while driving

scoobydoo
26-05-04, 09:15
Hi all,
I just thought I'd put a post up about my problem to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation and if it got any better for them!

On June 15 last year I was riding my motorbike, out for the day with my husband and a group of friends. We came up behind 3 very slow cars and when we came to a straight bit of road I came out to overtake (I was at the front of our group). Unfortunately when I was level with one of the cars they also came out to overtake without checking their mirrors and knocked me off. It was an horrific accident - my husband who was directly behind me thought I had been killed. Luckily although I had some bad injuries (smashed knuckles, both wrists, broken shoulder, numerous lacerations) I was relatively ok, not even knocked out. A week in hospital, 2 operations and 3 months off work ensued, but I fought very hard to get back to where I had been before and in fact I completed the London Marathon last month and finished in a time of 3:34 which put me in the top 6% of women!:)

Just after returning to work I bought another motorbike and started riding again. Apart from a severe amount of pain I was fine, even overtaking with no problems. I was driving my car as well with no trouble. Then, about October, things started to go wrong. I would be riding along and all of a sudden I'd get a flashback to the accident and feel myself going over the handlebars again and hitting the road. It was dreadful. By December I was feeling really depressed, although once we turned into the new year I felt a bit better. At this point driving the car was ok, but it was too cold to ride the bike. In Feb I got back on my bike after not riding it since October. To say it was dreadful is putting it mildly - I was terrified. Things then went from bad to worse and now I can drive the car in town but as soon as I get out on the motorway I start sweating, imagining all sorts of horrific accidents, feel like I'm losing control and basically just having a terrible time. I can barely ride my bike round the block and even then I think I'm going to pass out and fall off. I got a referral from my consultant to see a psychiatrist about post traumatic stress disorder, and it is helping a bit but basically part of my social life is on hold at the moment as biking is such a big part of my life, and it's terrible not to be able to go out and about on the weekends or make plans for holidays.

I know this is nothing like as bad as the problems some people have on here, but I just wondered if anyone else has got through something similar.

(please don't say give up biking as I would be devastated to have to do that).

thanks a lot
scoobydoo.

Meg
26-05-04, 12:38
Dear Scoobydoo.

First of all - many congratulations on the Marathon . A fantastic achievement indeed.

How are you riding pillion ?

Yes, pure PTSD

As this is still so new some hypnosis, EFT or a fast phobia cure would probably work for you.

Alternatively, you could work through it slowly by yourself and it will resolve eventually, but I would think some help would speed it up for you.

If you don't know anyone to recommend one then there are some links on this website. Ring a few practicioners and spend some time on the phone with each asking about their PTSD experience until you find one you click with.

If you don't get any joy - post again.

All the very best

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

scoobydoo
27-05-04, 12:21
Meg,
thanks very much for your reply - it's really heartening to think I may well get past this fear.
I went out on the back of my husband's bike last week, and apart from initially thinking we were either going to have a terrible accident or I was going to faint and fall off the back (!) I eventually got used to it, and by the time we came home I was sitting happily at a very high speed (yes, of course it was 60mph officer) not even holding on, just like I used to do years ago before I passed my test. So that definitely helped. I shall keep on trying but also get more help. thanks very much indeed.

Meg
27-05-04, 12:28
Scoobydoo -

The fact that you went pillion , were fearful - but stayed on and got over it, is a huge step forwards to being able to get over this fully..

Good luck- let us know how you do

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

sarah
27-05-04, 13:36
Hi Scooby

Maybe riding pillion with your husband (who you obviously trust) for a while will build up confidence at just being on a bike and the riding solo will come later when you feel more secure.
In the meantime I definately agree with Meg about the hypno etc. I have had hypno for panic attacks and have nothing but good things to say about it.
Good luck!!!! I used to ride pillion with my husband but my confidence has gone and I havent been on the back of a bike since my first panic. Im hoping one day to be able to get back on as I love the free feeling you get and also just bombing it down to the coast and sailing past all the poor people sweating in traffic jams...lol

Take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

diana
28-05-04, 18:07
Hiya Scoobydoo,

Welcome aboard!!!!!

So glad to have you here with us. :)

I know you will find loads of help here.

Congratulations on the marathon and the placement. :)

Well done you for riding pillion and enjoying it. Even though you were a bit fearful initially.

I agree with Sarah. I think it would probably be best to ride pillion with your husband to start with till you are more confident.

You will no doubt get over this fear. It will take time, but you will recover.

Megs suggestions are very good ones as well. You may really benefit from EFT or some hypnosis.

Keep posting to let us know how you are getting on with things.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

scoobydoo
07-06-04, 13:13
Thanks for all your lovely messages - Sarah, I hope you have the courage to get back on your husband's bike one day.
Well, 10 days ago my dad had to go on a business trip. I offerd to go with him and help with the driving (yes, me, helping with the driving, and all of it on dual carriageway!). So we set off and it was really, really hard, but I concentrated on my breathing and saying positive things, and I managed to drive the whole way there and back, a round trip of 250 miles. To say I was exhaused is putting it mildly! However I was hugely pleased with myself. 2 days later I tried my bike again but unfortunately it was worse than ever, and after going to pieces and ending up in floods of tears I phoned the psychiatrist and got an emergency appointment. I saw him last Thursday and it went really well, and since then I have ridden 3 times (all just in town) and the fear did not make an appearance (well, not too much anyway). I've also bought myself a book called "Feel the Fear - And Do It Anyway" which seems to be helping me an awful lot. Yesterday I drove 60 miles on the dual carriageway with only 2 flutters of panic - I was great! What an enormous relief to make a small improvement. I know I'll still have bad days, but I finally feel that one day I will get over this.
thanks for your messages of support,
scoobydoo.x

Meg
07-06-04, 15:18
Scooby

You're progressing well.

3 steps forwards and 1 back- it takes perserverence and patience.

You will get over it ..

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
07-06-04, 19:16
Well done Scooby!!!!!

You did great. ;)

Keep at it, it will get easier.

You are progressing very well.

You are right, with your attitude you will get over this in no time at all.

Keep us updated on your progress dear.

Take care,

Diana xxx