PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen?

Gregor
18-07-06, 11:08
I was wondering about something. I've just had a good moment on my road to recovery. I managed to get to the shops on my own (well, i went by taxi, but you know what i mean). The whole time i was out, i felt pretty much fine, no problems (even with this blazing sun!). Now that i am back and settled again, i can feel symptoms of my anxiety creeping up on me. Why is that, when i was so good when out and felt nothing?

Gregor

www.therapyfinda.com

Wannabeloved85
18-07-06, 12:36
Anxiety symptoms can sometimes creep up AFTERWARDS! part of the anxiety cycle im afraid. Basically your subconscious {cant spell!} is taking in what youve just done and adding the usual anxiety that is usually your behaviour. Try to distract your self so that this behaviour doesnt become normal.
Well done on going to the shop!! esp in this heat!! is boiling!
Becci x x x

Daisybun
18-07-06, 12:44
Hey Gregor well done on going to the shops. i would agree with Nigel and Becci, it can be an association thing and distraction. When I am busy and focussed I forget about everything alse, especially now i am on the road to recovery, i find that if I'm not busy i can turn my thoughts to the 'old' feelings which i don't want to do or need to do. Just focus on the positive, you did it, you went shopping yippee!

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

scoobygirl2005
18-07-06, 12:55
Hi.

Well done for going to the shops. Do you have a hobby? Because to keep your mind occupied you could take up a hobby e.g. sewing, cooking etc. Hope this helps.

Scooby2005
x x

Gregor
18-07-06, 22:26
Thanks for all your words of encouragement and advice. Going to the shops today represented another important step forward for me, but it's just a little dispiriting coming home to the reality of my anxiety. I really need to know more on how to cope with the symptoms when they come. I'm learning quite well on how to keep the symptoms away - sort of - but don't know how to get rid of them when they appear again.

Gregor

www.therapyfinda.com

Wannabeloved85
19-07-06, 10:34
Distraction is proberbly the best way to get rid of the symptoms, as well as breathing techniques. You just mentioned that you came home to the reality of your anxiety, by the sounds of it you see home as a place your anxious all the time and on return, you get anxious. I read your other post to say your moving house, this could be a great oppertunity to change that habit.
Becci x x x