PDA

View Full Version : Getting down about abnormal smear result

ell1877
14-07-12, 17:26
Hi again

I've recently received the results of my smear test and it came back borderline changes but tested negative for hpv which is obviously good they don't want to see me again for 3 years hmmm

Logical thinking this is good as they are obviously not concerned and the cells could go back to normal all is good

My thinking with the help of ha

Oh no that's it I've been given a death sentence the cells will multiply there won't be anything they can do to help me

I won't see my children grow up
I've even been through different scenarios about what's going to happen as the illness progresses

For god sake it's really getting to me I went to see my doctor and at the time it helped
But for every positive thought there's 10 negative that I come up with

It's like I'm fighting constantly with myself and it's hanging over me that I've been told the worst

I can't cope with it is it really as bad as I'm thinking or am I getting myself so worked up

I've started getting panic attacks n crying for no reason

Please help me xx

AuntieMoosie
14-07-12, 23:35
Hi hun,
I'm so sorry that you're feeling so bad...I know what it's like to be frightened about health issues.
But please let me try and reassure you hun. Now, I'm not a doctor or nurse but I have experienced an abnormal smear result myself so I did a little research on the subject and also spoke with my doctor.
How I understand it is that borderline changes can mean lots of different things, from a little infection or sometimes they don't really know why there are borderline changes but, as I understand it, a lot of women will then have another smear in 3 years and the result will be normal and the cells have sorted themselves out.

I know what it's like to scare yourself too...I'm quite excellent at doing it myself!!...But hun, take comfort from the fact that they aren't worried about your cell changes...and remember, these people read smear tests all the time and they are excellent at spotting anything...they can tell the difference between all the different cell changes that there are and how those cells are going to behave. They have decided that there is no cause for concern and that it's very safe to leave you for 3 years before needing to check you again.

Let me offer you a little more reassurance too, in my case I had moderate cell changes, I went to see the consultant and the very first thing that he said to me when I entered the room was "please don't worry, you have NOT got cancer" I was positive for HPV so he decided to give me a little treatment on my cervix which was no big deal, was done very quickly and off I went home. Since then I have had repeat smears every year and they have all come back as normal and my cervix is perfectly healthy:D

I really hope that I've helped you a little, I hate to think of you there with high anxiety and feeling really frightened, I know how horrible that is.

If you're still worried and need some reassurance how about going back to your GP or maybe the practice nurse and really tell them how frightened you are and I'm sure they will help with putting your mind at rest hun.

Please come back and talk some more if you need to hun, that's what we're here for, to help and support each other:)
I so hope that you feel better, you're not alone hun, we're all here for you:)
:hugs: