PDA

View Full Version : did anyone just watch sunday night. link inside

josh1987
15-07-12, 10:30
http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/#fop

after about 6weeks of hell with anxity have doc give me diazepam n been so scared of them n now watching that has just put me off more.

kittikat
15-07-12, 13:23
Hi Josh,

I have just looked at this article. My thoughts on this do not change, there is so much negative hype surrounding benzo's right now and in my opinion is sheer scaremongering. I know that many doctors will no longer prescribe this type of medication for anxiety here in the UK.

Benzo's have been used to treat anxiety disorders for many years and very sucessfully too. There are many members here who would agree that it has been a life saver for them....myself included. I think the problem comes when you are of an 'addictive' nature, by this I mean that you are so taken in by the soothing and calming effects of the drug that eventually you abuse and before you realise it you are hooked and wanting more. Used sensibly as prescribed and under the care of your GP, it is safe and effective...in my opinion.

I have never felt the need to increase to give me a 'high'...I may have taken an odd extra 1mg in times of severe anxiety but I stick to my dose and neither feel addicted nor the need to abuse. I think you may find that some of the stories featured in this article and the people in question have probably dabbled in other recreational drugs in the past and are probably of an addictive nature anyway. Being able to have this drug prescribed by a GP is possibly an easy and cheap option in being able to get drugs for recreational use.

As you already know, I have been on a moderate dose of Diaz for 9 months now and I am very slowly reducing. If I was of an addictive nature or a recreational drug user, then I could quite easily self administer an amount to suit my needs daily, especially as I am prescribed 168 tablets per month.....I am closely monitored by my doctor and have regular 2 weekly appointments....if I was asking for more, I'm pretty sure my doctor would be concerned as to any possibility of addiction or recreational use.

I realise others opinions may differ from mine, but I am just putting my own opinion across to you. Benzo's do have their place in the treatment of anxiety and yes, they give me a calm and relaxed demeanor, but I am not and never have been 'hooked' on this feeling. They simply help me to function day to day in a less anxious state and in that respect, have given me the means to start to rebuild my life and penetrate the restrictions of my disorder.

Kitti :)

BobbyDog
15-07-12, 13:32
Your GP is a professional and would not knowingly put your health at risk, he has made an educated judgement in prescribing you the Diazepam. If he thinks that this drug is going to help you, then it is worth a try. If you were then to stop taking the medication the GP would give you instructions on how to taper off slowly, to minimize any discomfort.