PDA

View Full Version : isnt it ironic

Wannabeloved85
18-07-06, 17:34
Didnt know where to put this really, so i thought it was more or less in the misc!
Anywayz, was just thinking, Dont you think its ironic that at one point,say 2 years back, finding a panic/anxiety site was like trying to find a needle in a haystack??!! Now you type anxiety and panic in to a search bar and theres thousands of pages to go through! But take away the 50,000 scams and cons and your left with about 3000 health formus,chats and contacts and the rest all information. So yeah, i think its great that its finally recognised. NOW TO TAKE IT TO THE STREETS! ok not literally, but it would be nice to see it more accepted in society. The internet can be scary, but find the right place {like right here in nomorepanic} and you feel right at home. But, if it was made more aware 'out there' wouldnt it make us feel that little bit more relaxed knowing society are behind us, not out to get us and humiliate us like we think they are!
I mean how many programmes have you seen on the tv about anxiety/agoraphobia etc? i think ive seen one, paul mckenna! I know cancer is scary and life threatning etc but its fully awared, we know about it, all too much! why cant we see more info on the outside on agoraphobia/anxiety and panic.
Sorry to ramble on bout more or less nothing, but i was thinking and got a lil carried away!
Becci x x x

marie ross
18-07-06, 17:56
Hi Becci,

It needs to be made more aware because there are so many people suffering out there who think there'e going mad and feel so alone.

I tell people whats wrong with me now (used to keep it to myself) and a lot of people just don'nt know what to say to me, they look at me like i'm an alien!!! In fact i told an older guy at work that i suffered from panic disorder and he told me that it was 'rubbish and a young girl like me should snap out of it and pull myself together' Unbelievable, and his wife is a nurse and his daughter is a doctor!!!!

Oh the ignorance of some people.

Take care.

Marie XXX

jackie
18-07-06, 17:56
im behind you becca but dont know if it will ever happen, im up for the challenge though

jackie

Wannabeloved85
18-07-06, 18:11
i once told a friend, only for her to reply, "no way! me too!" she'd moved away for 2 years and didnt know i was housebound, shed been suffering panic attaks herself.

Piglet
18-07-06, 23:12
I am beginning to make a determind effort to be more open about it, as anybody important in your world will take it on board and that way you know who your true pals are.

Trying to hide it so hard for the last 6 years hasn't got me anywhere. Nic is open with it isn't she - she developed this site and has been in the Daily Mail and I am damn sure most of the people she encounters respect her!

It's not a failing on our behalf - we can no more help the fact our bodies react this way to the stress going on in our heads, than can a person who gets nosebleeds sometimes. Sure once we are aware of it most of us choose to find ways to minimise it but we have no need to hide it like we have done something wrong!

Of course we will encounter people who say stupid things and don't understand but that says more about them than it does us!!

Piglet is waving a large banner at this point and getting a bit hot under the collar!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Time for bed I think and a quick fondle of my crystals!!:D:D

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

EebyJeeby
18-07-06, 23:38
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Time for bed I think and a quick fondle of my crystals!!</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Crikey Piglet - that's almost too much information!!!;)

I think that the word is spreading fast about anxiety etc. The more people you do speak to about it, the more you realise just how common it is (and how many people are struggling on without help).

When I first returned to work after being ill with acute anxiety and panic attacks, it turned out there were 3 other people in my department alone who had were suffering too. Says a lot about the work environment there though eh, which is why I have now left!

Sometimes you find wisdom in the strangest places too. I went for an interview last week for a little part time job and there were 3 people interviewing me. Everything went really well and then the owner of the business asked me about my health. I was honest and said I had been very ill last year with stress/anxiety - I kept it brief. The owners wife then interjected and said "so you want to work part time as part of your recovery...?". My eyes shot round to hers and she was giving me the most knowing and understanding look. In her 60s I guess and what a wise old bird. She obviously knew about this kind of thing. Most unexpected.

Eeb x