PDA

View Full Version : Constant twitch in left calf, over a week now! Convinced it is ALS!

bellina
15-07-12, 20:54
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help put my mind at rest.

I have had a very annoying twitch which is only in my left calf, I've had it for about a week and a half now. It started with a pain behind my knee, progressed to a pain in the right hand side of my calf and then to this twitching which seems to be in the left side of my calf.

The twitch is literally constant, nothing helps it. If I'm active I can't feel it as much/at all but as soon as I stop it is there again. It also still happens if I tense my muscle.

Dr Google (I hate him) is screaming at me that is it ALS and now I'm convinced.

I know the statistics and I know that at my age (22) it would be extremely unlikely but I just can't shake the idea.

I don't seem to have any weakness in my leg or anywhere else in my body.

I have suffered from health anxiety and panic attacks for a variety of reasons and I've always been fine. But this one is making me feel so depressed, I visited my boyfriend for the first time in a fortnight this weekend and I just say there thinking about it or sat on my phone Google-ing it!

Hellllppp!!!

PanchoGoz
15-07-12, 21:25
Google BAD. NAUGHTY BELLINA!
That aside, I have a twitchy calf too. Could be a number of things. Magnesium deficiency gives you twitching and cramping, although I've taken supplements for that and noticed no difference myself. If you have pain there too, I'm guessing you are putting strain on it in some way...for example maybe you sit on one leg in a crouching position a lot? Maybe you are at an office desk in a seat that is in the wrong position, maybe you are tensing it because you have a badly fitted shoe..I'm sure you have run through all the possibilites already but it won't be anything serious. If it gets any worse ie. very painful, talk to your doctor about it :)

Mr Brownstone
20-07-12, 21:21
I had twitchy calves for about a month last year. They just went away. Not the calves, the twitches :o

lindajane1971
25-07-12, 23:24
I had this recently, started 1st May and I still have it but not so bad now , started in my left arm and then I got it in my calf, and other arm and in my face.
Googled too and got the same answer as you which I had never heard of! :(
came here in a panic and got some good advice- cant be ALS as by the time you got the twitch you would have many more symptoms and be very ill.
have a look at my stats for the post I made "im still twitching" there was a guy who gave me lots of reassurance and good advice about it.
It gradually disappeared with me, but the last few days I've been having some here and there and now it don't panic me , it's just annoying!!!
xx