PDA

View Full Version : ERYTHROPHOBIA

rackel
26-05-04, 12:27
Hi i have a phobia that is driving me insane. I have a fear of going red and it seems to be getting worse. I am avoiding social situations and it it making me miserable. Im also so frustrated because i have got to the point where i know i need help beating this but have no money to do so because i cant work (vicious circle) .
[V]
Am i alone on this? does anyone have this phobia?

imported_n/a
26-05-04, 19:32
hey there rackel,,how red do you go and why is it a medical condition or just because your embaressed or anxious????and why cant you go to work??i am sure we will give you some advice on this one ok
chin up
xxxdarrenxxx

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""

rackel
26-05-04, 20:18
Hi darren . I go bright bright red because of anxiety it has even happen to my entire body on two occasions which really scared me. I cant work because i get so anxious, then i go red and panic more and then go redder because im anxious. I just get so anxious i cant concentrate. This is an extremely embarrasing phobia and i really want it to go away.

Rachel x

imported_n/a
26-05-04, 21:26
hey rachel,,,you know now i come to think of it ,,i also go red my neck and most of me to be honest ,,never really thought about it before althou i have noticed it mmmm,,,,please dont let it worry you hey we have enough to worry about dont we!!!!!and i too mate cant work due to anxiety so your not on your own there ok,,hey e-mail me anytime..if you like we could compare notes ok,,,please try and chill a little ok,,
bye the way is that your photo on the site???

xxxxxdarrenxxxx

rackel
27-05-04, 12:08
Hi Darren. Its hard not to think about it cos i am permenently paraniod that its gonna happen. Always worring I have made it a phobia. Its nice to know we are not on our own dont you think? makes you feel less weird. My photo is on the site its rachel (rackel)the one with the silly grin are you on the site?

I will try to chill x x x
Rachel.

imported_n/a
27-05-04, 20:34
hi rach ,,yep i am on the site also,,but please dont laugh will you he he,,

and yeah it is so comforting to know we are not on our own,,
cause origenally i keot my anxiety and everything to myself for nearly ten years!!!!

until i found this site and i have opened up so much,, i am not so ashamed of this thing anymore,
thanks rach,,

xxxxxxxxxdarrenxxx

rackel
27-05-04, 21:44
Me too.I kept it a secret from everybody for nearly 7 years, now I have told the people that I care about the truth I hope they can understand and support me. It does make me feel less ashamed too! Ii use to think i was a freak amd that I was weak snd that there was no way out. I was praying that someone would he;p me and the only way that is gonna happen is if I tell people. My parents have just today offered to pay for councelling for me and I am so gratefull beacuse this could be my ticket out of madness. (i hope)
This site has been so great for me too peopl;e like you really encourage me not to give up.
I hope I csn do the same for others.
Rachel x x x

imported_n/a
27-05-04, 23:35
HEY RACHEL,,,HOPE YOU ARE OK THIS EVENING,,
hey i have kept it to myself for so long,,i too thought i was the only one and i cannot tell you how much i thought i was crazy or going insane or haveing a breakdown,,,yeah,,what a reli
you know to find other people ,,,

i have had councelling my only a couple of weeks ago ,,i had six sessions and wow i had a lovely lady ,,and it really did help me so much,,,

have you thought about joining NO-PANIC,,its a charity organization and they offer some great help ,,membership is £11 a year but the benifits are well worth it,,
i have a telephone recovery group starting on the 1st june and lasts for 16 weeks ,,,
if you would like to know more ,,let me know ok,,

you are very lucky to have someone to offer to pay for your councelling!!!have you tried your doc you could get it for free?????

i myself didnt get that much help or support off my doc but i think he is starting to come round now to my problems,,,

hey take real good care ok

xxxxdarrenxxxx

p,s ,,anytime contact me ok,,,x

rackel
28-05-04, 19:33
Im not sure about the telephone recovery group not sure about talking over phone. If i go through my docter for councilling i have to wait 6 months. Im glad councelling is helping you I hop it can do the same for me
By the way Contact me anytime too
Thanks Darren x x

rackel
21-11-04, 21:41
does no one suffer from this?
am i the only one?

STH
23-11-05, 21:08
Hi Rachel

Have you had any luck? I think I might have the same thing and am trying to find out some more info. It's difficult to talk to anyone though without feeling daft! I've really just reached the point where I want to get sorted.

alexandra28
04-05-08, 20:54
Hi Rackel. I have similar problem as you. I turn red in any social situation and i have not met anybody to have this problem You are the only one, even there must be other people. I have not gone to the doctor cause it is embarrasing. How do you cope? Have you got any friends/ ALEXANDRA

alexandra28
04-05-08, 20:56
WOULD BE NICE TO MEET MORE PEOPLE LIKE US AND GET TO UNDERSTAND THIS PROBLEM. Nobody understands my pronblem at all and i d like to meet up with other people suffering from bludhing. Alexandra

alexandra28
04-05-08, 20:57
Where do you live? I do

andie73
05-05-08, 12:15
No you're not alone. I too go bright red on frequent occasions and this spreads to my neck and chest but then there its more like red blotches. Sometimes when its really really bad I get it on my arms esp top of my arms. I know how awful this is because you simply cannot hide it from people. Sometimes it feels as though my whole body is on fire. I get this mostly when I'm at work....bit much on a daily basis. It's awful but people at work are used to me and those who work around me don't make a big issue of it which halps alot. I've found that making a joke of it helps me I call myself beetroot and stuff...I'll say beetroot's back to people at work and they then don't get the chance to point it out and ask the dreaded question eee are you ok? Cos that really freaks me out, it makes me feel that I must look dreadfully ill. I haven't really found the answer to this one yet and it's hard to live with but please tell yourself you haven't got some dreadful illness as it does go away when you're relaxed an illness wouldn't do that. And tell yourself you are definitely not alone....pm me any time.

Andrea x

london
05-05-08, 13:36
thinking about this hmmm , why not get on a sun bed get a tan then you cant go red and if you do it wont show good luck

hunny_as
05-05-08, 23:34
(sorry about my spelling) hi ya have a thing of avodyding certern stuations were i go red, and my hole body dose go red as well, has done a few times, my clost friends know about and say anything, but u drad going to places specilly out for dinner, cause i know i am going to do somthing stupied and go red, i am getting red just thinking about it, but not sure if its a propper phoiba, i try and advied sercten thing and see some peole, when i am round people i tend to say nothing cause i scard that i am going to go red.

it would be nice to meet people who go thro the same thing, i am from newcastle (gateshead)

hope i have helped, feel free to pm me.
amanda xx

lewdaw
31-07-08, 05:38
Hi Rackel,
i also suffer from erythrophobia and i find its getting worse and my life goes on, i think about 5yrs now im ashamed and havnt told any1 about it, ive tried hypnosis and it didnt help, i dont know what else to do, its terrible and taking effect on my life. How do u cope?? have u tried anything to help?? i feel better knowing im not the only one but sorry for anyone who lives with this...

offtropic
14-12-08, 17:08
I suffer this too. Im 18, and I've had this problem since I was 13 approximately, and since then I had no life. Here where I leave (Argentina) there is a place that makes a surgery http://www.eritrofobia.com.ar/ , and I think that there should be one place of it in uk. For what I read, It is very successful. I will take the risk, I have nothing to lose, and too much to win.

-Dean-
02-01-09, 14:39
i have this - i am in high school, i am 15 . every time i talk in class or to a teacher my face will go purple. i have always had this i think. Even if i just walk in front of a class without talking my face will go bright red/purple. i try to keep quiet in school but its hard when the teacher asks question directy to you. even if a teacher says my name i will go red.
I wish there was a way to stop this - my local radio station has a docor who calls in on a sunday i am going to email him and i will post reply on here next week.

coniferclose
17-09-10, 00:53
I suffer this too. Im 18, and I've had this problem since I was 13 approximately, and since then I had no life. Here where I leave (Argentina) there is a place that makes a surgery http://www.eritrofobia.com.ar/ , and I think that there should be one place of it in uk. For what I read, It is very successful. I will take the risk, I have nothing to lose, and too much to win.

Hi I know you wrote this over 2 years ago I hope you get this in time.IK had the surgery in the UK in 2002.Called Endoscopic sympathectamy.They cut the nerves in your chest to stop the blood flow to your face.Which on paper and from a doctors mouth sounds like a quick fix to a life changeing problem.
How ever yes it does stop abit of redness in my face when i blush.But not enough to recommend it to others.DONT HAVE THIS SURGERY YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER.ONCE YOUY HAVE HAD IT DONE YOU CANT REVERSE IT.:weep:
For 8 years i have been living with the side effects.I get excessive sweating which i didnt before the operation.I only had my right suide done thankfully because my nerve was harder to cut then usual.Soi my hand is now cold to the touch and goes purple in the winter.The other side which i didnt have done doesnt cahnge coulor.My right eye has pains in it from time to time,the other eye doesnt .And strangely after the surgery I noticed my eye and right side of my face chaned .My eyeld dropped and face did.Im left feeling a freak.I still suffer from the Erythrophobia.But I have found that it decreases with age and medication.And with confidence .Its about breaking the cycle of shyness.Not speaking out cos of fear of blushing .Try and speak out even if you go purple.Trust me keep trying you will feel amazing if you persevear#
I have also found propraolol and or diazepam can help with this condition and hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating).I got these prescripded from doctors.
Also try cover the redness with make -up.I know for women its ok but if your male dont be ashamed to.I am male and wear make up because of my red skin.The red cross helped me with this.
Also I found self help bookshelpful.With breathing and distract techniques.Hold on ,trust me it does get better.
I started suffering from it at the age of 8.I finally went to the doctor and had the operation at 18.Looking back now i thought it would be a quick fix,the answer to all my problems .I so wish i could undo the operation.But i have to live with it now.
Try a book called copeing with blushing by dr robert edelmann.I found this very helpful.Your not alone.I have heard of people like ourselfs being in total despear and try to end their lifes and some successful.Dont do it get help councelling /prescription.Their is help out their these days,its just finding it.
I hope this has helped some people
I know I have gone on abit ,its just iv suffered for many years with this condition.Im so grateful and relived to find this site.
Be great to hear from fellow suffers and general comments.
Thanks for reading
coniferclose:blush:

coniferclose
17-09-10, 00:54
Hi I know you wrote this over 2 years ago I hope you get this in time.IK had the surgery in the UK in 2002.Called Endoscopic sympathectamy.They cut the nerves in your chest to stop the blood flow to your face.Which on paper and from a doctors mouth sounds like a quick fix to a life changeing problem.
How ever yes it does stop abit of redness in my face when i blush.But not enough to recommend it to others.DONT HAVE THIS SURGERY YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER.ONCE YOUY HAVE HAD IT DONE YOU CANT REVERSE IT.:weep:
For 8 years i have been living with the side effects.I get excessive sweating which i didnt before the operation.I only had my right suide done thankfully because my nerve was harder to cut then usual.Soi my hand is now cold to the touch and goes purple in the winter.The other side which i didnt have done doesnt cahnge coulor.My right eye has pains in it from time to time,the other eye doesnt .And strangely after the surgery I noticed my eye and right side of my face chaned .My eyeld dropped and face did.Im left feeling a freak.I still suffer from the Erythrophobia.But I have found that it decreases with age and medication.And with confidence .Its about breaking the cycle of shyness.Not speaking out cos of fear of blushing .Try and speak out even if you go purple.Trust me keep trying you will feel amazing if you persevear#
I have also found propraolol and or diazepam can help with this condition and hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating).I got these prescripded from doctors.
Also try cover the redness with make -up.I know for women its ok but if your male dont be ashamed to.I am male and wear make up because of my red skin.The red cross helped me with this.
Also I found self help bookshelpful.With breathing and distract techniques.Hold on ,trust me it does get better.
I started suffering from it at the age of 8.I finally went to the doctor and had the operation at 18.Looking back now i thought it would be a quick fix,the answer to all my problems .I so wish i could undo the operation.But i have to live with it now.
Try a book called copeing with blushing by dr robert edelmann.I found this very helpful.Your not alone.I have heard of people like ourselfs being in total despear and try to end their lifes and some successful.Dont do it get help councelling /prescription.Their is help out their these days,its just finding it.
I hope this has helped some people
I know I have gone on abit ,its just iv suffered for many years with this condition.Im so grateful and relived to find this site.
Be great to hear from fellow suffers and general comments.
Thanks for reading
coniferclose:blush:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif