PDA

View Full Version : what triggers anxiety episodes for you?

rubymolloy
16-07-12, 13:16
hi..as a sufferer of anxiety i get asked a lot, 'what triggers it..?
I wondered what other sufferers would reply, i guess i am doing a mini amateur research!!
for me, tiredness, lack of sleep, guarantees it, but recently have been wondering if bottled up emotions are partly responsible....i always think that i am very honest and upfront with emotions but lately have realised that actually i keep an awful lot hidden away through fear of showing them...anyone else think that this could be the root issue of anxiety conditions?
just a theory....
love to hear what you think...
x

gypsywomen
16-07-12, 13:17
if i feel unwell bad chest or throat that can

spuder
16-07-12, 13:22
if iam nervous about a test or doc app.

Nathan246
16-07-12, 13:30
I find that having a cold/flu is a major trigger of anxiety and panic as i start thinking i have something worse.

BobbyDog
16-07-12, 15:35
Yep, I can relate to the bottled up emotions, I thought that I was a really open person, this last week or so has made me realise that I am not and it contributes to my general anxiety and panic attacks. My son was having a go at me one day last week about something I had not done, I surprised myself and said 'I am in a state of panic 24/7' he looked at me with complete surprise, as if to say 'what you Mum, no I don't believe it, you look so calm'.

Another thing is, I feel as though I cannot breath, so I take a shallow breath to find out, then the physical symptoms start, tight chest, no oxygen, the shallow breaths get more frequent until I am hyperventilating constantly.

Good thread by the way rubymolly

Angelai
16-07-12, 15:46
Yep, bottled up emotions will do it for me. Hadn't really though of it that way. Also, if I feel that anyone is annoyed or upset with me. If someone speaks to me with a 'funny' tone in their voice, or if I feel that they are mentally tutting or rolling their eyes...

And, a big one for me, basically having to do ANYTHING that I don't want to do! Like, shopping in the supermarket when it's really busy, working in a shop or office or anywhere where people might be judging me or, as above, where people might feel annoyed or whatever with me. Being judged, having people form an opinion of me without knowing me, not being heard, or being misunderstood, being 'caught' doing something that I don't want people to know about, such as crying or getting really angry, having my doodles and writings and bits of poetry read, having someone see me on my pc on this site and asking what I'm writing about and why can't I talk to them about it as well, instead of just letting it all out on here (he knows who he is lol). I seem to often feel ashamed and guilty and like I'm walking on eggshells and that, together with the daily anxiety and panic attacks, makes life VERY tiring, and being tired generally increases the anxiety/stress too :wacko:

Wow, didn't mean to go on sorry! Great question to pose, that one. Thanks rubymolloy x

Oh, and alcohol, hormones, travel, social gatherings, having guests around to the house...

Rach29
16-07-12, 16:03
Hi I'm with bobbydog with the breathing I'm exactly the same feeling like you can't breath its horrible and also when I'm tired or unwell it makes my anxiety worse can't breath pounding heart feeling as if I'm not here I hate it

meche
16-07-12, 16:16
Being run down and a bit depressed triggered mine back in Feb but now I've worked through those issues my symptoms are the main cause.

The problem being that back in the early days I googled far too much and now I know about symptoms of diseases that I didn't even know existed! I can go for weeks feeling really good then I'll develop a headache that just won't shift or an ache/weakness in my leg.... then the 'fun' begins!! xx

Mally
16-07-12, 16:41
I'm yet to fully understand what triggers my anxiety. Travelling away from home is a big one, generally if I'm going for a day out or a social function, to the point that I just don't do them anymore. If I'm with my boyfriend then I'm generally fine.

Phones ringing I've discovered can be a trigger too, I'm easily startled and phones ringing can make me jump. I tend to worry what will be on the other end.

Being alone is a hit and miss one really, sometimes it can really make me anxious, at other times I'm fine.

Once I'm in an anxious state I find that any little thing can trigger the feelings, I struggle to eat much when I'm anxious which makes me even more anxious thinking about eating and the fact that I'm not eating much. Anxiety really is a vicious circle!

rubymolloy
17-07-12, 00:34
wow, i so relate to all your posts...i also am totally paranoid of anyone reading anything personal that i have written...and hate the phone ringing and in fact all of the things you have all written!!

i watched a film two nights ago called Good Will Hunting, and it made me think of how it is the unexamined emotions that I myself contain that could be making me ill with this anxiety. The americans seem much more up with psychology I feel, perhaps we have a common thread of being misunderstood, before we fell prey to the condition....
thanks for your replies, I will keep an eye out for more.
trust issues and bottled up emotions...yes....
xx

Thinkingimmad85
18-07-12, 02:21
For me it can be many things, I am generally anxious.

My main triggers are my heart rate if it goes above 72 even when active I start panicking, my OCD triggers it as well, being ill, being left on my own, not sticking to my routine, so many things tbh :-(

Beckybooboo
19-07-12, 01:25
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through an episode of anxiety at the moment.

I think for me it could be a number of things, mine was escalated from two traumatic events and also things from my past that triggered mine off...

I'd say when I'm due on my period I get REALLY bad and get really depressive along with anxious, but I put that down to hormones also.

I hope you're okay.

All the best,
Becky

rubymolloy
20-07-12, 14:08
going to new places
meeting new people
being tired (I hardly ever sleep it feels)
new relationships
obsessive thoughts that go round like a record in my mind
Aldi, Morrissons, supermarkets generally (!)
travelling generally
not eating enough or well enough when i do...
Lets all get on a magic bus and get out of here!!!
beam me up scottie
:doh:

winterwonderland
20-07-12, 14:41
I tend to find when something big happens in my life for example when I split with my ex partner and also when I had to take some major exams for work that seems to set my anxiety off.

When I get anxiety I seem to get a fear of getting on the bus which I have to do almost everyday, when my anxiety has been at it's worst I've had to get my mum to come on the bus with me!

ImogenX
21-07-12, 01:25
at the moment:
public transport. mainly buses after a quite horrible incident I had on one
Night time and all the things that come with it, when it's night I like to be at home. I cannot stay over at other peoples houses and I am now finding I don't even like going to parties anymore cause of my anxiety
The feeling that everyone thinks I am a weirdo, sometimes I get so panicky over it it's ridiculous!
Any kind of insect whatsoever!!
I feel like all of mine are very silly.. but they really do make me feel absolutely horrible