PDA

View Full Version : Travel Anxiety/Sickness - Caffeine - Not sure where to post?

Angelai
16-07-12, 15:21
Hi all, just wanted to share this and see what you think...

I suffer from very bad travel 'anxiety' - according to my gp; not travel sickness, but travel anxiety. I get myself into a right state, take valium for planes and trains, don't do buses or boats, don't do passenger in a car, can't drive more than about 15 miles with a passenger in my car etc etc...

My husband and I were talking about it recently - I asked if it was possible to develop motion sickness (I'm still not convinced it's not actual sickness in my case) in your 30's if you've never suffered before. He told me about a guy he knows who had never suffered, he just got it out of the blue and real bad. One day, my husband advised him to drink coffee and energy drinks to see if it would help so that he could take him out on a dive trip - and it worked! This guy was absoutely fine, no nausea or anything. He realised the motion sickness seemed to start around the time he gave up caffeine. When I thought back, I realised that it was the same for me - I gave up caffeine about 14 years ago, I know that I travelled fine before that, it was never an issue to go places.

I gave up caffeine because of panic attacks, when I have it I KNOW I've had it, although the panic attacks are regular anyway (I'm just not prepared to drink a cup of 'normal' tea when it affects me within half an hour).

Anyway, just thought I'd share to see if anyone else can relate? I'm not ready to start on the caffeine again, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this.