PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there that worries about Breast Cancer!! infact all cancers...

Treacle
16-07-12, 20:07
Hi,

Havent been here for a while, but something always crops up to bring me back.

My health Anxiety is all centered around Cancer! If i know someone with it, or hear of something about it it sets me off again.

My mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in April and had the lump removed in May and is currently under going Chemo and Radiation. The prognoses looks very good as they caught it very early; but it has sent me into frenzy of self checking and panic as i automatically think im going to get it because she's had, although two Dr's have said there is no statistics showing it's hereditery if only one family member has had it; of course i dont believe it.

I did go to the Dr 3 weeks ago and she checked me out and said all seemed ok, but i have quite a tender spot on my left boob, i have to rearrange myself to be able to lie on my front; i cant feel anything lumps wise but i am really tight and tender along the shoulders and back imbetween shoulders blades am convinced its gone to my back. It's just near the nipple and to the side of it, it's not the whole boob but just that spot. i must say i have been prodding and ended making the right one just as sore.

Does anyone have the same fear? or tender boob or tight sore back and shoulders? to hear from anyone would be great.

Thanks xxx:)

AnnieMags
16-07-12, 22:05
Oh, Treacle, I could have written your post! I often have pains that feel as though they are in the breast, to the point where I think I even feel a sore area, but then I realise that my back and/or shoulder on that side is sore and tight, and it is more than likely muscle pain that ''radiates' to the front. A pain without a lump cannot be other than reassuring, I think. Too much prodding and checking could even cause pain, which in turn makes us worry more - it is a vicious circle, and I know how hard it is to break!

Of course you are going to worry more given your Mum's illness, but the doctor is right - one relative, even a close one, with cancer does not suggest a genetic link. Just stay 'breast-aware', as we all should, and check with your doctor if anything worries you. If there was ever anything untoward, early diagnosis and treatment gives excellent results, as in your Mum's case. I have two close friends who had breast cancer - one in 1998, the other in 2005 - both are fully recovered and healthy. Best wishes from Annie :hugs:

swgrl09
17-07-12, 13:05
I can relate as well. My mom passed away of a rare type of cancer about a year and a half ago so cancer is always on my mind. If it helps, I have bad back and shoulder muscles and have the same type of pain you are describing. Maybe go get a nice relaxing massage!

lisak789
17-07-12, 13:52
I have this fear so bad as well. I have had all the tests to check for breast cancer and I still dont beleve my doctor that I dont have it. Since my baby was born (stillborn at full term due to the cord) that was in January of this year I have had right breast and nipple pain. The doctors say that I am fine but if I was fine why does it still hurt??

nervousmummytobe
17-07-12, 15:18
I would try to relax if i were you... imagine what we would all have if we searched for symptoms of things.... my mum always said dont go looking for things.... if something isnt right you will know without having to search xxx

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

the reason it still hurts is most likely because your brain is fixated on this part of yur body and is therefore hyper sensitive to any bodily sensations in this area.... I bet if you start thinking you have cancer of the bone your bones would start aching? x please relax ! i need to do the same xx

Treacle
18-07-12, 15:01
Thanks to eveyone who replied to my post...makes the world of difference knowing people are out there who understand and sympathise.

This is a nightmare were living with 24/7, it's great there is somewhere we can go to vent and get it off our chests and hopefully feel better, if only for a short while.

Treacle xxx

mollygirl
20-07-12, 01:43
Hi I know how you feel. I worry about cancer every day! my mum died of pancreatic cancer 14 years ago when I was 24 and she was 43. It was so sudden and she died within 2 weeks of finding out. Well I suffered from depression before she died but boy did the anxiety set in after she died. I too have gotten pains everywhere that I think is cancer and had a mammogram and then an ultrasound and was fine. In fact I have always been fine but still worry!!!! right now I am worried because I have nausea alot and think its stomach cancer. I feel your pain!!!!

lavender123
04-11-12, 23:25
i wonder if anybody can help me, or give me some reasurrance please. i had a bit of skin only tiny, that was like a tiny spot on my areola, i thought it was dry skin and cut it off with scissors, which i shouldnt have done, the doctor who looked at it a while back said it could be a skin tag, anyway now, its just a tiny spot, but i keep thinking its something else as i keep getting a needle feeling in it and sometimes a itch, there ae no lumps in my boobs, well i have checked them, but i think my health anxiety is making me keep checking and looking, and mabe keep prodding them is making them sore, i had a mammogram last december, and all was fine, a tarot card reader, told me last year before i had a mamogram that there was a problem with my breast, which freaked me out, but i did mention to her if she thought my mammogrm would be alright, and that is what she said, i told her afterwards that it was aright, and she just said she must have got it wrong, anyway now i am thinking she was right. i suppose you think i am bonkers, but just very anxious. thanks.:scared15: