PDA

View Full Version : Hello - somebody help me!

Tlad
17-07-12, 01:27
Hello, I have been suffering from anxiety symptoms for the last 12 years (I am only 25) until recently I have dealt with them with relative ease, however recently they have encapsulated my life. I realised I needed help when my panic attacks worsened and it got to a stage where I would leave a situation to avoid a panic.

My panics start when I fixate myself on my breathing and heart beat. I concentrate so much on these aspects that I believe in my mind that I am not breathing/ my heart is not beating. It is ruining my life, I have left my job and avoid all social situations as I think I will have a panic attack.

I only ever feel 'safe' at home, around people who know I have problems. I have yet to tell my friends as mental health issues are difficult to address.

Other problems I have is that if I ever have a slight twinge or ache i immediately think I have a life threatening disease (like cancer etc). I struggle to relax and my mind always anticipates the next time I may panic and I get worked up about it. My main panics often happen when I can not get out of the place I am in i.e cinemas, theatres, lectures etc

Anyone else similar? I am awaiting help via the NHS for severe anxiety disorder, just wanting to know why I am different! It drives me mad :mad:

lisa12
17-07-12, 02:08
wow i could of written this myself ! i to have dealt with these issues since being 18 im now 36 , I have been that bad in past that after slight twinges i have rushed to A+E thinking im about to drop dead only to be given the all clear every time .i have recently learnt to accept my anxiety and no i will have good and bad days with it BUT it will not harm me ,and you are no different than any 1 every one as anxiety as if we did not we could not survive its just that ours starts at the wrong time but with some help from your gp you can get through this i never thought i would but i have and you can to .xx

Rach29
17-07-12, 12:14
Hi you sound like me I'm always aware how I'm breathing think I'm not and panic its horribble, I also keep feeling my pulse to see if its beating its awful isn't it its always worse if I'm tired I don't think I can tell you any different than what above has said just your not alone and you will get past it : )

BobbyDog
17-07-12, 13:38
You are not different, I am constantly aware of my breathing and I often take over from my subconscious mind by taking shallow breaths and end up hyperventilating.

I also share your main worry of having a panic attack and not being able to get away and the fear of other people noticing. I am paranoid when around others, thinking that they will notice that I am an anxious person.

Jon1979
17-07-12, 16:12
Hi Tlad

You are certainly not alone. I have been dealing with anxiety for a few years and muddled through. This past few months it has taken over my life. Like you, I only feel safe at home and barely leave the house at the moment. It dirves me mad too.

Jon

sadprincess
18-07-12, 19:56
hi

Yes i too have these things and you can feel alone i know i have. I can only say take each day and make sure you get help and support. I found reading up has helped me.

I sometimes have very bad patches and then it passes again, ive learnt to try to accept this and go easy on myself, its hard though.

wishing you all the best :D

toshtao
18-07-12, 22:04
It sounds to me that you are very jumpy and overly suspicious. I was the same way with the centipedes crawling in my house. There was no peace of mind, so I had to continue to look over my shoulder, thinking they will crawl all over my feet!