PDA

View Full Version : doc wants to see me for results - instant panic :(

lindajane1971
17-07-12, 09:43
Oh No i am now petrified and entering panic mode-
i had a 24 hour holter on last wednesday and the health centre called today saying the doc wants to see me for results, omg this cannot be good as its not even been a week since ive had the monitor on and usually they dont ask you to come in unless there is something not right with the results, well thats how they work it in my health centre.
im in a panic now, i dont think i can cope waiting until thursday for this.
my worst fears are right in front of me.
:(

cattttt
17-07-12, 10:14
If it was really bad, they would have had you in straight away.

anxietyoverload
17-07-12, 10:36
If it was anything serious im sure they would want you in right away :) but if your worried ask if you can get in sooner x

countrygirl
17-07-12, 12:32
Usually the don't need to come in is only for normal blood test results. For other more complex tests like the moniter then it is usual for the Dr to give you your results face to face even if its to say all was well.

Also there are alot of benign conditions like ectopci heartbeats that show up on these tests and are classes as a normal variation in heartbeat but again your Dr would need to explain this to you.

My ectopics always show up plus the occasional bout of fast heartbeat but I have always had to get the results face to face so they can explain that the findings are normal and nothing to worry about.

If there was anything serioiusly wrong they would have phoned you pronto believe me.

sammie23
17-07-12, 12:39
If it was anything serious they would have u in asap. I had a 24 hr tape on my heart and I had to go in to see my doctor. My results was normal apart alot of ectopic beats x

lindajane1971
17-07-12, 17:21
well i got myself into a right state over this!!!!!!!!
i called the health center back to ask if i could be given the results over the phone, she looked it up and said, no, the doctor wants to see me there, that made me worse!!! She could tell i was upset and put me in for a phone appointment and a different doctor called me half an hour later.
He said he had a brief look over my results and there was nothing wrong, just my own doctor wants to see me about starting a beta-blocker!!

So immediate panic over - BUT im still anxious about it as having to start a medication obviously means that the results were not all normal and after mum dying of a heart attack so young and me complaining/worried about my heart ever since makes me think the worst of course!!

at least im not frantic anymore, but still anxious a bit!!!
thanks for your replies and support guys, it means a lot
:0)

mrmj
17-07-12, 19:29
beta blockers are not only for your heart but also for adrenaline and panic attacks! If the dr on the phone said all was normal and they haven't called you in straight away, you're going to be fine! I'm sure also that your doctor would have called you in because they might want to discuss other possibilities that are causing these chest pains, namely anxiety!! I'm sure they will want to try and help you with it as best they can!

countrygirl
17-07-12, 19:56
As Mrmj says beta blockers are used to calm people down and slow the heart right down in anxiety sufferers but you don't have to take them and they are not suitable for everyone especially anyone who has or has had asthma.

If the Dr said the tape was normal then it was normal!

lindajane1971
17-07-12, 20:04
thanks mrmj, i dont have any chest pain though, i was at the doctor last month for something else and my heart suddenly started racing over 120 for no reason, so she gave me a ECG there and then , which she said was fast but regular with no abnormal electrical thingymijigs, and so said she would request the monitor for a longer reading.

I managed to calm myself down eventually, but its blooming rearing up again as to why i would need a beta blocker. I know millions of people take them, my husband is one of them!!! But im so med-phobic i really dont know what to do/think!