PDA

View Full Version : Do you do this?

Hypo
17-07-12, 17:55
I have this thing under my skin on my leg. Had it for years, it is ugly but it has been checked over by four different doctors.

I went back today to ask for it to be removed because its ugly. The GP said it's just a scar under the skin but agreed to remove it in five months time, then he will send it to the lab.

The lab???? I nearly cried at that point. He told me that it isn't a cancerous lesion and if they thought it was cancer or even suspicious I would get it removed within two weeks, they wouldn't make me wait for five months.

So I asked again if it is cancer because why else would they send it to the lab? he just said to confirm it but it isn't cancerous or even suspicious.

Four other doctors said it wasn't suspicious either, but one did measure it. The others wouldn't refer me to have it removed because it just wasn't suspicious but this doctor said normally he wouldn't either but he doesn't mind putting my name on the list as it's a minor procedure if it bothers me.

So now instead of being happy that the ugly thing will be gone in five months time I'm worrying that they really think it is cancer because of the lab thing

Trish
17-07-12, 19:28
Hi

Please try not to worry anything that is removed from the body be it a lump, mole etc is always sent away to a lab.

You have had this for many years you say...that tell me it is nothing to worry about...your still here :)

Trish.

bottleblond
17-07-12, 19:51
Hi Hypo

The doctor will have realised that the scar is causing you stress and maybe that's why he referred you on to have it removed. A friend of mine had a mole on her face and a couple of doctors said they wouldn't refer her because it was only a small mole and quite natural to have one where she had but she really did hate it and went to see a different doctor yet again This doctor read her notes and saw that she had been twice before and said if it was causing her stress then he would refer her to have it removed and that's what they did.

Sending it to the lab is normal hun, It's just what they do. It's absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

Lisa
xx

swgrl09
17-07-12, 20:36
I'm pretty sure they have to send it in anytime they remove something. If it was cancerous, you would know by now as you said you have had it for years.

louise123_uk
17-07-12, 20:45
I can confirm 100% that docs and dentists always send a sample of tissue that they remove to a lab to be identified as a matter of course. I have been tol this by my dentist, my GP and a plastic surgeon.

I had a patch of overgrown gum in my mouth round a crooked tooth, and it freaked me out when they said they would send a sample away afer they had removed the excess gum. My dentist said to me there is no way its cancer but because of the lab thing I too paniced and wouldnt believe that it was routine. I had a call outside of hours from my dentist when e got my resultsas he knew I was so worried about but I missed the call and just got an answer phone message late at night asking me to ring him. I freaked out overnight only to be told the next morning it was nothing at all but normal gum as he had said!

I also recently had 2 moles removed, to me they seemed suspicious and I nagged my doc until i finally demended she refer me to have them removed (they cant ignore a demand to be referred). The plastic surgeon I was referred to didnt thnk they were anything, but agreed to remove them since they bothered me. Again they told me they would send a part of the moles and surrounding tissue away even though they were almost certain they were nothing as the same as my dentist said, they told me they have to have all tissue analysed. I guess it helps docs to judge things for the future and to be confident when they say things are nothing, and is in fact only an absoloute check that there is no prob with the tissue to a much lesser extent.

In summary the lab analysis doesnt mean anything other than they are follwing standard procedure. What others have said is also right, if they think theres a prob they act quickly, they would be negligent otherwise, it sounds like they are just giving in to give you peace of mind as they did with me. x