PDA

View Full Version : Scar tissue stressing me out

mum-of-4
18-07-12, 12:19
Hi everyone

I've not been on this website for ages as have managed to keep my HA just about under control for the past couple of months.

This time of year always is bad for me with my HA as I spend the summer away from home and away from my husband and for some reason this makes it really bad.

my obsession is with my moles and convincing myself I have skin cancer. I had a mole removed from my shoulder about 8 years ago. It was done by my GP who assured me it was fine (didn't send it away though). It wasn't a new mole, I'd had it for as long as I can remember and wasn't causing any probs but it was about 6mm long.

Anyway just recently I've had tingling/prickly sensation in my shoulder area and when I checked there I could see the scar tissue from where the mole was removed. It's skin coloured but has little bumps on it. I am now driving myself mad checking it and rubbing it and making it worse. I can feel the sensation all the time (it is worse when my t shirt rubs on it).

Does anyone know if scar tissue can be bumpy and if it was cancer returning would it have taken 8 years or would I know for definite by now?

I am due to go away on Sat and wondering whether to see my dr before I go but am scared of him thinking I am crazy!!

Please help!!

many many thanks!

Fran x

Munchlet
18-07-12, 13:58
Hi Fran

I just wanted to let you know that I have an area of scar tissue just above my breast which feels quite bumpy and really thick.

On occasion whilst doing my monthly breast exams it has scared the life out of me because I've thought I could feel a thickening/lump in the breast tissue then when I look I realise it is actually the scar tissue I'm feeling.

I wouldn't worry about this at all, my hubby had quite a big op on his shoulder years ago and his scar tissue is so think and bumpy it looks like a zip running round his shoulder.

I think its quite normal, not very nice but harmless xx:yesyes:

AnnieMags
18-07-12, 21:29
I absolutely agree with Munchlet - this is not anything to worry about. A lot of people develop bumpy scars, it is very common. I had two moles removed at the age of 14 (I am now 59!) - like yours, they were not suspicious but were still removed because they were in a place where they were chafed and irritated by clothing. Both scars are raised and bumpy - I can still feel and count the individual stitches, 45 years on! So go and ejoy your holiday - I hope you have a lovely time! :) Best wishes from Annie