PDA

View Full Version : I Think I'm Getting There

lauz_lea
18-07-12, 21:50
Well, after a rocky few months going back on my old med, swapping meds, then going med free for a while, and then on to Citalopram and Propanolol, I think I may finally be going in the right direction.

It's hard to identify exactly what I suffer with, but certainly degrees of anxiety, depression, OCD (thoughts of all kinds but not so much compulsions), DP & DR, and I'd successfully been on 10mg of paroxetine (Seroxat) for many years with huge success - hindsight is a wonder thing and if I knew that such suffering would have followed withdrawal (18mths ago), I would have ignored my GP and stayed on it. However, I cannot change the past, only learn from it, and I certainly have.

I'm reacting and responding well to cit. I started on 10mg for about 6 weeks and it worked wonders for lifting the depression and combined with 80mg slow release propanolol lifted the anx too, with only very slight side effects. On only 10mg, progress was slow, but following my reactions to increasing other meds, I was scared to increase the cit, but I have (20mg/10mg every other day combo) and over the last couple of weeks there have been more improvements, although very gradual, so much so infact that sometimes I have to remind myself of all things I'm NOT doing anymore:

1) Checking my pulse 100 times a day
2) Being convinced that every headache is a "you know what" etc
3) Vomiting/retching EVERY day
4) Waking up and getting up at 4am
5) Chain smoking
6) Checking in to NMP constantly - if I wasn't on my laptop I had it open on my phone - it felt like I had everyone here with me all the time.

The list goes on and on and I'm sure many of you can relate, so I won't bore you all with listing everything, but I never kept a diary, or posted on NMP constantly (like I used to), because I over analyse and obsess when I do.

Just a few weeks/months ago I had become agoraphobic and barely left the house for a fortnight, and for months I never left my "comfort zone" when I did go out, but now, I'm back at work full time and constantly bugging my husband about what we're going to be doing at the weekend - I WANT to go places, I WANT to do things, I want to have as many adventures and new experiences as possible - but SOMETIMES, I still want to hide, and that's ok too.

I'm hoping the improvements will continue, I'm sure they will cause it's still early days. I was so convinced that cit wouldn't work before I started taking it that I'm very pleasantly suprised. It hasn't been quite the sudden/overnight "fix" that I had a few weeks into paroxetine the first time I took it, but it's a different med afterall.

A few things still continue to concern me - hair and weight loss being my main worries. My weight is still dropping (over 2st now) despite my appetite returning, but that's being looked in to and I have some scans this weekend so hopefully that will rule out anything serious, however my metabolism has definately increased, and so has my toilet roll purchasing if you get my meaning, so it could just be that. Not sure what's going on with my hair, it's not falling out in clumps or anything, but I'm definately losing more than normal. In all though, those things are a small price to pay for feeling mentally stable and I'm sure they'll sort themselves out.

For those suffering so badly, they think there's no light at the end of the tunnel, or that you'll never get better, just read through some of my old posts, I was where you are (and not for the first time in my life), but I KNEW I would be writing one of these positive posts one day instead of just reading everyone elses and wishing it was me.

For every day we suffer, there's a day of joy coming our way so tally up your bad days and see how much joy is yet to come. I'll be making that my new signature if I can figure out how to do it.

Keep going, no matter what, and no matter how hard it is - for me, there has never been any question about an alternative option, the only way out is through.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

AND A MASSIVE THANKS TO EVERYONE ON HERE - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND THERE ARE TOO MANY NAMES TO MENTION, SOME ARE STILL HERE REGULARLY, OTHERS HAVE MOVED FORWARD, BUT I'M THANKFUL TO HAVE HAD YOU ALL THERE OFFERING SUPPORT, HUMOUR, WISDOM AND YOUR EXPERIENCES :bighug1:

erin31
18-07-12, 22:37
What a lovely post. Thank you for sharing your success story and good luck with your future. :yesyes:

Tufty
19-07-12, 17:27
:yahoo:Lauz that's great, just what I need to hear at the mo. Are you still on the Propanolol?

haz
19-07-12, 18:04
That's great news! I'm so pleased for you and it gives us all hope for the future.

Haz. :)

nicola1980
19-07-12, 19:07
:yahoo: YAY that is fab news Lauz am sooooooo pleased for you brilliant!! :yahoo: xxxxxxxxxx

lauz_lea
19-07-12, 20:11
Thanks all - I'm still not holding my breath, I've spoken too soon in the past but this has been the longest period of steady improvements I've had for quite some months - even my mojo is back :D

:yahoo:Lauz that's great, just what I need to hear at the mo. Are you still on the Propanolol?

Hi Sam, yes, still taking the prop, not sure how long the doctor will keep me on it, or how to come off it/reduce cause I've never used it until now, but it's worked a treat for the physical side of anx and side effects of cit, so once I've had at least a month of stability/normality I will discuss it with my doc.

cmc46
19-07-12, 20:15
I'm so pleased things are better for you now Lauz, I have been put on 10 mg Citalopram after being on 20mg Propranolol since Christmas as I am still suffering a lot of anxiety after having food poisoning last November so it's good to hear a success story, the only thing that worries me is if I should lose more weight as I have already lost 1 1/2 stone since November, I didn't have an appetite till a few months ago and that has been gradually coming back but after one Citalopram today I didn't feel like eating this evening so still thinking about taking another one tomorrow because I wouldn't want to go through that again. Did you have many side effects? and if you did I can tell by your message that it was worth it.:)

lauz_lea
19-07-12, 22:20
Hi cmc - I haven't had any major side effects from either the cit or prop to be honest. For the first few days on 10mg cit and 80mg prop I was a tiny bit fuzzy, like VERY mild DP. I had a few short dizzy spells, and mild nausea and at that stage I was taking the cit in the morning and the prop at night so I could seperate the side effects and know what was causing what. I switched to taking both in the evening with dinner and have had no problems since. I can't say either had any direct effect on my appetite because it was so poor anyway some days, but I can say I'm eating a lot better now most of the time. I still have some days where I have no appetite at all but I make sure I eat something, and I'm under doctors orders to eat lots of chocolate and high calorie foods (YEY). My weight isn't dangerously low or anything, I was overweight before all this anyway so I haven't lost any weight I couldn't afford to lose, but what's concerning is that despite my appetite returning and eating more or less normally again, I'm still losing 1lb a week (on average).

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have tried several AD meds over the years and in terms of side effects, cit has so far been the mildest for me (fluoxetine and paroxetine being the absolute worst), but everyone is different and I know many on here have suffered with starting cit, and many haven't.

Neither the cit or prop have effected my sleep like some of the other meds I've tried, if anything, my sleep has all but returned to normal, as have my dreams, but this could also be because my routine has returned to normal (working shifts, family life etc).

I stayed on 10mg for 6 weeks, until I was sure I wasn't suffering from any of the minor side effects anymore, and until I plucked up the courage to take 20mg, and to be honest, at this stage, I haven't had any further complaints that I can 100% say is down to the increase.

One thing I've just remembered are the night sweats, but they were nothing compared to the night sweats I had with paroxetine where I'd wake up in a puddle and have to put on dry PJ's. It never happened everynight and hasn't happened for about 10 days now.

I'm still waking up with the OCD thoughts in the morning, but they're passing quicker and quicker every day, I just seem to realise my thoughts have been normal, then I have a fleeting few minutes of it, and they blend into the background again and normal thinking resumes. Its a bit hard to explain but you may know what I mean.

With regards to the prop, I went straight in at 80mg and its worked a treat, if you've got on well with it, you may want to speak to your doctor about increasing it whilst you get used to the cit, particularly if your finding the physical signs of anx increasing. I'm not entirely sure how the prop works but as I understand it, it stops/slows the release of adrenalin. For me, the prop has been the icing on the cake and I suspect why I haven't had the usual SSRI side effects I usually experience.

Good luck with it x

cmc46
20-07-12, 12:32
Hi Lauz,

Your message came just on the right day for me and is so encouraging, to be honest when I got home from the GP yesterday I was in two minds about even starting the cit but I did, I did have an upset tum yesterday but this could all be to do with what is wrong anyway as this is how the anxiety all started when I had the food poisoning in November and has left me with post infection IBS. Like you I was overweight anyway but I hope I don't lose any more, I'll have to go and buy a whole load of new clothes as the ones I am wearing are a bit too big now but that can't be bad I suppose. I wasn't sure when to take the the prop, I have been taking them one at night and one in the morning, I can take up to 40mg a day so if I feel I need to I will increase to that as by what you say it doesn't matter if you take them the same time as the cit.
Thanks again for your encouraging messages, I'll keep reading them and it will keep me going. xxxxxx

lauz_lea
20-07-12, 21:26
I'm glad I could offer some encouragement and a message of hope. As with most of these type of illnesses (of the mental health category), they fuel themselves a lot - anxiety fuels anxiety, depression fuels depression etc and it's easy to get caught in the vicious circle of it all, but not so easy to break the cycle.

I never thought I'd find myself back in the depths I found myself in a few weeks/months ago but I'm relieved I'm not there anymore, I honestly couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel some days.

Its hard to separate the side effects from the problems and ailments we are already suffering sometimes, and when already suffering with anx, we become more anx about starting/swapping medication and it's really easy to convince ourselves that every new thing is a side effect - it may not be.

Try to be objective as you can and most importantly, keep functioning. I let myself become more and more detached from my world until it shrank to a small comfort zone. I have no idea why or how I let it happen, but it was then a struggle to reverse it.

cmc46
21-07-12, 10:02
Today I am in two minds about carrying on with the cit, 2 nights now with hardly any sleep have lost my appetite completely as I feel that everything I try to eat or drink is going to come back up, I just don't know what to do, the trouble is this is really why I am taking them because after the food poisoning I had a fear of eating and have only recently got back into what I call proper meals and now this has set me back to square one. I will have to think about it.