PDA

View Full Version : Questionnaire for my blog

Rennie1989
22-07-12, 11:52
Hiya guys

I write blogs on mental health, whilst trying to end the stigma attached to it, and I want to write one on how anti-depressants are prescribed too readily by GPs. My fiancé and I were discussing how when we saw our GP as soon as we mentioned a symptom of depression or that we are depressed the GP would just give us anti-depressants, without exploring other methods like counselling and therapy.

Although the blog is mainly based on mine and my fiancé's experiences I want to find out other peoples' thoughts and feelings about the subject, so if you could answer a few questions, either post them here or PM them to me, I would be most appreciated.

Diagnosis (and year):
Antidepressants prescribed (and year):
How easy was it to get antidepressants? (i.e. was it given out easily by your GP):
Were other methods explored?:

I won't be hanging around for long, I'm going to wait for a couple of days whilst I gather information for this blog and another I want to write.

Thank you :)

EDIT: I have been asked my MIND, the mental health charity, if I would write blogs for their site. I would like to get this blog written as soon as possible for them to publish so if I could get more responses that would be great!

Rennie1989
26-07-12, 08:52
Well.... it's been four days since posting this up and I've had no responses, so I'm going to close it.

Thanks a bunch, guys.....:lac:

Pipkin
26-07-12, 09:49
Rennie - I'm sure there are people who would be happy to answer. Stick with it. I'll kick off:

Diagnosis (and year): GAD (1991)
Antidepressants prescribed (and year): Venlafaxine (2002 & 2012) Sertraline (2011)
How easy was it to get antidepressants?: For me, it's not a matter of how easy as I didn't have any intention of persuading the GP to prescribe them. On Ven (first time) and Sert, I had long discussions with the GP about various options, including meds and therapy. I showed a preference for meds and the GPs went along with this. Ven (second time), I specifically asked for it as I had a disastrous experience on Sert. On my first diagnosis in 1991, I was referred to a psychiatrist and took no ADs, just beta blockers.
Were other methods explored?: See above

Hope that helps

Pip

grotbags
27-07-12, 23:04
Diagnosis (and year): Panic disorder with agoraphobia, depression and ocd (2003)
Antidepressants prescribed (and year): Various over the years. Trring to think... 2000 I was prescribed an ssri for an undiagnosed kidney infection. 2003 prescribed Citalopram for panic disorder diagnosis which I did not take. Over the years following I have been prescribed Dosulepin which I did take, Cipralex which I also took, Venlafaxine, Citalopram again, Sertraline and Prozac
How easy was it to get antidepressants?: They were thrown at me!! (But one time when I actually requested them, it was not so easy to get them...)
Were other methods explored?: Yes. Counselling was prescribed along with antidepressants. Also various other treatments offered such as mental health outpatient. CBT.

youonlyliveonce.com
28-07-12, 13:34
Diagnosis (and year): 2009 GAD 2012 Panic
Antidepressants prescribed (and year): 2012
How easy was it to get antidepressants?: Extremely difficult until I had done 2 seperate courses of CBT.
Were other methods explored?: Yes CBT twice, before A/D's were prescribed. None of the GP's I saw thought A/D's were the right option till psychological therapy was completed.

Rennie1989
21-08-12, 12:00
Thanks for the replies.

I have been asked by Mind (charity for mental health) if I would write blogs for their site. I would like to get more questionnaires completed by more members so I can start writing my new blog for them.

Also, if there are any areas you would like me to cover for future blogs then give me a heads up :)

Sparkle1984
22-08-12, 21:32
Diagnosis (and year): Anxiety disorder, August 2012
Antidepressants prescribed (and year): Citalopram, August 2012
How easy was it to get antidepressants? (i.e. was it given out easily by your GP): Fairly easy. The doctor could see I was distressed and I was desperate for help. I could not wait for CBT or anything like that, I needed something to be able to help me straight away.
Were other methods explored?: Yes, I've been referred for CBT and I now need to make an appointment for my assessment. The doctor also referred me for a blood test to check my thyroid is functioning OK. I was signed off work for a week to give me time to try to overcome the anxiety and the side-effects of the medication. I was also given some diazepam tablets in case I get really bad panic attacks, but I haven't used any of them yet (I'm a bit scared of them to be honest!)