PDA

View Full Version : 3rd day of the summer holidays

cally24
22-07-12, 20:30
And already I'm stressing about going back to work! I'm a fairly new teacher who has already had a pretty rough year (various poor observations, poor behaviour from the pupils, increasing pressure from the top). I was hoping to switch off but now I've got myself in a state over the activities I've planned over the next 6 weeks. Unbelievably, I'm not happy with when I've planned to visit my parents, when I come back I'll have 2 weeks left of the holidays - I mean TWO weeks! I'm so lucky to have a job that gives me so much time off in the summer, yet I'm worrying about coming back and only having a couple of weeks? How ridiculous is this?

I think I know why I'm so worried, I'm expecting the work anxiety to return in full blow near to the end of the holidays and I don't like how it feels. I was a mess before returning to work after Christmas, I got on top of it later in the year but only because the performance management cycle had finished and I looked like I was back on track. But then OFSTED came in and I got it wrong again. I'm back on a support plan (which sounds good but it was not a nice experience) and the pressure of the job has returned. I know that the new year will bring fresh challenges, a busy timetable and higher expectations. If I'm honest, I don't know if I can do it this time. I'm very driven, I want to be the best, and I didn't take time off all last year, but right now I wish I could just stay off forever. These feelings returned towards the end of the year, I was miserable, exhausted and I couldn't sleep. Full blown insomnia that had me sobbing for hours through frustration. Me and my partner have had many callings out over this.

I thought that the long time off would help, but 3 days in and I'm already plagued with negative thoughts. I need something to help me, anything at all that will stop me getting myself in such a stress over something which I've been through before. In experience, I know that my thoughts are often worse that reality, but why? I need a way to stop them because I can't spend my holiday like this!

Sorry to ramble, I needed to let off some steam.

Thank you.

antrob1000
23-07-12, 12:52
I exactly know how you feel I have teh same anxiety/stress caused by work. It all start just over a year ago since I took on alot more responsibility whout appropiate training. So I spend most of my tiem off work stressing worrying about it. I have thought about giving in but I am not like taht i dont l;ike to faile and like things to be done properly. That is most likely part of teh problem.

I had two weeks of work not long ago for a holiday with my wife and son and had a awful few weeks at work before I broke up. But for alot of our holiday I just worried that I had to go back soon and have to go through the nightmare taht is work all over again. The only thing Ifind that helps is to keep really busyto try and distract my mind from the worrying. This seems to help to make the feelings go away.

Hope this helps

Ant