PDA

View Full Version : Feeling so Much Better - My Experience Shared

Dan1975
22-07-12, 21:00
Hi guys,

I've been a frequent visitor and occasional poster in the last 12 months. Basically, my situation is that I have suffered from GAD since I was about 20. I'm 36 now, so nearly half my life.

It was something I just lived with. I never really did anything about it and as the years went by it got worse and worse and had a major impact on all aspects of my life. I did try to tackle it on a couple of occasions with therapy, but it didn't work out and I did not stick with it.

About 12 months ago I was sleeping so badly I went to see my GP. We got into talking about the underlying reasons and I went down the medical route whilst I was on the waiting list for more therapy. I tries Citalopram, Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine. So the full spectrum! venlafaxine helped the most, but was not the utopian solution I was hoping for.

In the end I stopped the meds and threw myself into the therapy. The therapy was good, but the thing that was the catalyst for my remarkable improvement of laste was a book by Rush Harris called The Confidence Gap. It a book based on something called acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). I haven't read loads of material on axiety, but this in my opinion is something that truly works. It focuses on the internal struggle we have with anxiety and how this keeps it going. By learning the acceptance and mindfulness skills in this book I have come so far in such a short time. I have pushed boundaries in all areas of my life. The physical sensations are much less prominent. The swearty hands have now all but gone. I still get others, but if you let them be and accept them they will appear less often and bother you less.

I am so much better than I was. It may not work for you, but I urge you all to read this book and give it a go. If. You're anything like Mr you won't be dissapointed!

Dan

theharvestmouse
22-07-12, 22:03
I'm going to have a look at getting this book, sounds like its made a difference for you.

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Just bought it off ebay for under £8, read some good reviews on Amazon as well.