littleredhen
23-07-12, 22:52
anyone watching this?

CameronG
23-07-12, 23:02
It's on c4+1, is it worth watching? Got law & order SVU on ATM lol x

littleredhen
23-07-12, 23:05
yes it's worth watching. If only for a bit of validation that we're ok.
I really identified with the chef. And Rudy Wax when she was talking to her previous doctor at the Priory.

kittikat
23-07-12, 23:08
I watched this too, I thought it was really good. Raising awareness of any mental health issue and trying to remove the stigma attached can only ever be a good thing.

Serenitie
24-07-12, 01:00
Loved it! :)

haz
24-07-12, 01:16
I'll get it on catch up tv. There's a lot of tv programmes on this week about mental health issues. Is it Mental Health Awareness Week?

There was a really good programme on BBC ONE SCOTLAND the other about how the NHS are letting people down when they ask for help in aa crisis. It wasn't a surprise to me but it's good that they're highlighting it on tv. One woman phoned the Crisis Team to say she was suicidal and was told "No, you're not"! Thankfully she's still here to tell the tale. Another young girl with two very young children was suffering from severe depression and was told to go home until her bed was ready, unfortunately she didn't make it back to the hospital and her children are left without their mother now. It actually made me cry, so sad, yet so NEEDLESS. The people on this programme were BEGGING for help that they never received.

Haz.

Gordon64
25-07-12, 21:50
Hi

I saw this last night. Was never a huge fan of Ruby Wax but was actually a really good programme and I felt they dealt with the subject sensitively. As somebody who knows how this illness can drag you down and has reservations about how our so called "professionals" deal with this illness I agree with the previous poster who said that anything that helps bring this out in the open and eradicates the stigma still unfortunately prevalent amongst some can only be a good thing. A while since I posted, doing relatively ok just now hope anybody who remembers me doing ok too. G

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Meant to add there is a programme on at 10pm tonight on c4 re mental health and job interviews which might be of interest to some on here-no idea what it'll be like but going to watch it anyway.

JonoClouds
25-07-12, 21:55
Watched the programme. Good to see Mark Williams, if briefly. He's the chap who bangs on about Mindfulness Based CBT. I recently bought his latest book. This is not an advertisement, though! Book is good, MBCBT also looking promising.
If I'd told my employer about my mental 'health', I'd have been booted out of the door in 5 seconds. Same day. Bye bye. Shame really.

littleredhen
26-07-12, 12:26
I've recently started dropping hints at work. For example: I can't use public transport and so for years I have driven into work - which is in the city of London, so v expensive re parking. Because of this, my colleagues think I'm a prima donna nutcase so very recently I decided to tell them why I drive. They were amazing and now my boss has given me flexible working during the olympics to help with the congestion caused by the 'games lanes'.

Another example is that I've made it clear that I can't do all the social stuff that goes on aruond here because of anxiety. I was beginning to get a reputation as aloof and unfriendly (which is SO not true) - so now one of the secretaries waits with me in the office until I'm ready to go and then I go for a short time and just leave when I get overwhelmed without having to make excuses. It's really helpful.

I haven't mentioned all the other stuff yet! But I hope that my drip-feeding them, they'll start to see things for themselves.

LRH. x

oh no_1
30-07-12, 01:22
because of nature of my job i find it hard.... like i never ever been in staffroom only when no one been in which i hard for some reason i dont know why.... dont go to events with work as too much etc... they know wot i got but still try n force me to go etc... but dont understand.