PDA

View Full Version : xxxxx virus!

countrygirl
24-07-12, 12:30
:curse: I posted a couple of weeks ago about a horrible virus that caused worse cough I have had for many a year, my lungs were fine and Dr said antibiotics won't help and it can take some getting rid of. My friend also had it at same time so that was reassuring in comparing symptoms!

AFter about 12 days my cough got loads better, only coughing every few hours rather than every few minutes and I felt better in myself, my voice came back , same thing happened to friend and we both assumed that we would be okay in a few days. Wrong.

3 days later I felt like I was getting a cold, burning sensation up back of nose and then the cough came back but different, not coughing alot but it hurts to cough and voice is starting to go again. Loads of gunk in sinuses as well.

Spoke to my friend again today and she says she is feeling much worse as well and she is going back to Dr on Friday. She had a course of antibiotics when it first started as she is asthmatic but they did not help at all.

I know this virus is sweeping the country and just wondered if anyone on here has had it and did it last for weeks??

countrygirl
24-07-12, 17:44
I'm starting to panic now as today the cough has come back with a vengeance and I have burning ache in my chest an also in my sinuses.

I rang the Dr but there are no appts left this week other than emergency ones, they said they had never been so busy probably due to this cough!!

spuder
24-07-12, 17:54
i have a burning ache in my chest too and a cough that drives me mad went to docs he said chest infection antibotics didnt work went bk again he told me to inhale steam and that was that god i hate docs

countrygirl
24-07-12, 18:54
Spuder are you feeling any better??

spuder
24-07-12, 19:54
no not really countrygirl

countrygirl
24-07-12, 22:25
How long have you had it??

I have heard some people have taken 6 weeks to get over this cough!!

Anxious_gal
25-07-12, 00:37
I'm glad I don't have it. I hate feeling like I can't breath.
But for the coughing fits, Codeine helps a lot. You can get cough syrups with codeine in it but the tablets work pretty well too. As a bonus they can make you feel a bit more relaxed.
But be careful not to take too much and it can be addictive too.

swgrl09
25-07-12, 12:42
I have found the best thing when I am coughing is mucinex-d with decongestent in it. It thins your mucus so it comes out better and helps congestion. A little expensive, but is OTC over in the US.

countrygirl
25-07-12, 21:50
Saw the DR again today and she said as I have had it for 3 weeks and its getting worse she wants me to take antibtiobics so have got a weeks worth of amoxicillin 500mgs. She said they might not help but she said it could be turning into a chest infection. I don't have high hoped of them working as others have had them without success.

Its not a good time at moment as i have a friend in a hospice who I have been told today may only have 24h rs left, she is mostly asleep, she has no close family and I am her exectutor of will and will be arranging her funeral. I am sitting waiting for the phone call:weep:from hospice.

Plus my mother in law who lives with us and is 89 yrs old has just had a week in hospital herself and only came home today.

I have had better weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!