PDA

View Full Version : shooting/tight feelings in upper stomach/chest

Craig80
20-07-06, 10:25
Howdy folks, hope all are well :)

I've had anxiety for about 3 months now, but am slowly getting on top of it all, and feel as though im doing quite well and on the way to getting rid completely..

The one thing that i cant seem to help though, is this one particular thing.

Basically not the usual tight chest from anxiety, but kind of shooting, achey pains in the top of my tummy, just under my chest.

You know the feeling you get sometimes, when you are dropping off to sleep, and you get the shooting feelings that often make you jump,....its that! (unless thats ust me, but iv always had that, and im sure thats normal lol)

they seem to be triggered when im on the computer, or somewhee like in an open office talking to someone (maybe when there are a lot of things going on in the background that i can see in the corner of my eye)

For example if im on a website, and scrolling down the page, the moving images seem to make the feeling build up and get worse, and i feel as though i cannot wait to find what im looking for and stop scrolling.

It does feel like my body is going to cave in any minute, or completely tense up. It also makes me a bit snappy, and feel a bit stressed.

I am about due an eye test, im thinking maybe its this.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if it is a normal
symptom of anxiety?

Its just annoying as i am a web designer, and its doing it whilst im trying to work.

it isnt all the time though, most of the time im fine.

Many Thanks!
Craig

dorabella
21-07-06, 12:17
Craig

I get similar discomfort from time to time - in fact I can feel it coming on now whilst I'm using the laptop to write to you.

You will probably find that it is just muscular tension caused by anxiety and I'm afraid that computer based work is the worst thing you can do - bad posture, stiffening up and tension in the abdomen/diaphragm. I even get aches and pains in the chin, neck, shoulders arms and hands.

Admittedly I also suffer periodically from acid reflux which causes no end of strange sensations in the stomach, under the ribcage, throat - burning sensations, stabbing pains - you name it I've experienced it and probably so have many others on this board. Acid reflux is also brought on for me in any case by anxiety - and this HEAT is making me REALLY ANXIOUS AND PANICKY!!! Thank god I have a few days off work at the moment during the hot spell - better than my 90 plus degree office!

If you're worried about the sensations you are experiencing then get yourself examined by the doc but I'm sure you'll find that you're worrying unneccessarily. All of us anxious types are are prone to catastrophizing every minor ache and pain.

Craig80
01-08-06, 15:28
Thank you for your reply, iv only just been back on here.

iv actually been feeling really great lately, and NO anxiety.

life is being much more appreciated, and the calmness inside me feels so good.

i still have the odd symptom as mentioned above, but i have been off the computer quite a lot over the past few weeks, and have put a lot of projects on hold as i think i was overdoing it on the computer.

i've also split up with my girlfriend, which i thought would have made things worse, but seems to have helped. weird!