PDA

View Full Version : Seeing flashes of black?

Worrier12
24-07-12, 19:56
Sorry to post again today- didn't get any responses to my other post. But this is something different.

For about 2 months now I've been getting random 'flashes'. It's not like a zig zag flash (retinal detachment), it's almost as if there is a light on, and the electric has flicked on and off, and the room goes dark for a split second. (I get this whether a light is on or off). It happens randomly, watching TV, moving around, doing whatever, maybe 3 times a day?

Does anyone else get this? I also get floaters, pressure/pain behind eyes which optician and dr tell me is normal, apart from pressure/achey eyes which they said is tension/anxiety. Just worried about the flashing of darkness (one flash lasting a split second, enough for me to notice). It's definitely not me blinking, not that crazy :)

fluff
24-07-12, 21:07
Do you mean like a little black spark of light I get that a few times a day

JonoClouds
24-07-12, 21:19
Worrier 12

When the flashes occur, do you also feel dizzy for a brief part of a second?
There is a quite well-known effect described as electric-shock sensations, or informally as brain-zaps. When I was first diagnosed there was almost no info about it available, but now there is lots and it's even mentioned in patient information leaflets for anti-depressants. Brain-zaps are frequently experienced when withdrawing from such medications. Personally, as well as during withdrawals, I also suffered them before I was even diagnosed, but was getting very poorly.

In brief, my brain zaps lasted (I estimate) about 1/4 of a second, during which I could not see or think. They seemed to be accompanied by a falling or dizzy sensation. I heard no sound, but some people report hearing a brief zap.
Does this description seem familiar to you?

Cheers - Jono.

Worrier12
24-07-12, 21:38
Thanks for your replies, but don't get any dizzyness with the flashes.

It's just like a brief flash of black. Almost as if the lights dim for a second but it occurs with or without a light on. It's like a couple times a day.

So scared I have a brain tumor =/ ringing in ears, pressure in ears, pain behind eyes, forgetting things. SO down right now, feel really alone =/

Worrier12
24-07-12, 22:07

Was in A&E last night, doctor had no idea what was causing pressure behind eyes, but said ringing in ears may be menieres disease, although I don't really have symptoms of it besides ringing in ears for 3 months and pressure in ears. Saw GP today who made me feel like an idiot. The minute I walked in door, he was saying I was body checking, being silly, made me feel really low. Said he was only referring me to an ENT as the hospital has said so. All doctors tell me something different, doesn't help =/