PDA

View Full Version : cbt & nhs waiting lists

suzy1984
20-07-06, 10:27
Hi all
Really frustrated atm just over a month ago i rang the waiting list people to find out where i am on the list was told i was second from the top of the urgent list & should be seen within a month, just called again now & been told its going to be another 4-6 months, im devastated was hoping to be on the mend by the time i start uni in sept but not sure if il be able to go now, everything is getting a bit much. Been trying to help myself but had my confidence knocked lately after a few bad things happened just feel at rock bottom again. Also does cbt actually work? i feel im so far from being 'normal' il never get back there again.
Thanks for reading
love
Suzy xx:(

**whenwillthisend**
20-07-06, 11:11
hi i got on the CBT list quickly and started seeing someone within a few weeks...but to be honest im dubious about it...im not sure if it will help me i know CBT is raved about on here and im sure it helps people but for me i need to give it longer...it doesnt help in the fact i think my therapist is a bit of a plonker...but thats just me....
anyway why dont you go back to your g.p explain your situation with going to uni and he may do another urgent referral...that way you should be seen quicker..my g.p did this and i only had to wait a coulple of weeks...but i know it depends on the g.p
take care and good luck

scoobygirl2005
20-07-06, 12:19
Hi.

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps you could go back to your doctor and tell them it is urgent and is there any other way they can fit you in for an appointment sooner?

Scooby2005
x x

nomorepanic
20-07-06, 13:58
Suzy

You could maybe do the No Panic telephone recovery course whilst you are waiting.

Check out www.nopanic.org.uk

I did it many years agao and it was really good.

Nicola

nicjay
20-07-06, 17:08
Hi suzy

Which university r u going to? I started with my panic disorder whilst at Lancaster university and within a week of seeing a doctor i had an appointment with a CPN which was really good. Most uni's now are well aware that many students will need some mental health counselling and so have good programmes in place to respond to these issues. So even if u dont see some1 before u go to uni there probably will be help available to u if u need it. I found the CBT to be of use in sorting out the negative thoughts and turning them into positives plus it was good to have someone to talk to. If u would like to talk further with me you can pm me anytime.

Love n hugs
Nicola
xxx

suzy1984
20-07-06, 19:53
Hiya thankyou all for your replies & words of encouragement they are much appreciated. Im going to manchester metropilitan uni so im hoping there might be someone there to help me with it being so big i just wanted to get better before i start as im so scared i wont be able to make friends because of my anxiety, i dont want people to think im weird & not like me because i find it hard to chat when im anxious, was hoping uni would be a fresh start.
My doctor did write a letter to get me from the normal waiting list onto the urgent one, but it looks like iv been shoved down the list for some reason, one thing i did get told though was that after 6 months of waiting you automatically get put on the urgent list whats the point in that? The waiting list boss person is gonna ring me wen she gets off holiday (must be nice to be able to go on holiday!!) so i can find out whats gone on. grrrr
Anyway just waffling now thanks again
Love & hugs
Suzy xx :)