PDA

View Full Version : Feeling terrible this morning

Goldfinch
26-07-12, 08:32
I discontinued Citalopram in February with my GP's agreement after using it to get through a horrendous divorce, which cost me so much money that at one point I could not pay my tax bill and had to set up a repayment plan with the Inland Revenue. I'm renting at the moment with my 18-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son, but have registered with the local housing association and hope to find somewhere next year.

We have escaped a horrible situation, I have money for a deposit, I have plenty of work (I'm self-employed and work from home), good friends, a wonderful boyfriend and supportive family. But I've started to realise how financially strapped we are living here (rented accommodation is really expensive in my area and I was unable to claim housing benefit because of the capital from the sale of our house). I need dental work, our laptop needs repair, my son is outgrowing clothes and shoes faster than I can buy them, my daughter won't be going to university till next year and hasn't found a job yet, and I am terrified that I won't be able to provide for us all. I don't know how much of this fear is rationally related to the situation, how much is fallout from years of an abusive relationship and how much is just me (my mum and brother both suffer from depression so I know it's in the genes).

This morning I woke at 4.30 after about four hours' sleep and the panic was like a hot burning pain in my stomach every time I thought about anything to do with the situation (it's hard to stop thinking about it for long). I struggle to think of different approaches and the thought keeps coming back to me that I will end up old and homeless (I'm 56 now and going through the menopause, which probably doesn't help either). I've tried St John's Wort for about six weeks but think I probably need something stronger, but then I feel pathetic for not being able to cope with the normal ups and downs of life, plus citalopram makes me drowsy and when I tried fluoxetine I was climbing the walls. None of this is helping me to work and bring the money in!

I feel so awful I just wanted to get it off my chest to someone who would understand.

:huh:

BobbyDog
26-07-12, 16:55
I am sorry things have been so very difficult for you and your family, when you have been to the bottom the only way is up, believe me I have been there too.

I don't know if you are still taking the Citalopram, but if it helps you through this rough patch then why not? About the menopause, my Mum who is now 64 has been taking HRT since she was 42 and she swears by it, if she forgets to take it for a couple of weeks she has really bad flushes which bring on panic attacks.
Perhaps consider the HRT?

The anxiety runs in our family also!

Goldfinch
27-07-12, 12:13
Hi Bobbydog, thanks for your reply. I've decided to go back to my GP and start citalopram again as it just isn't fair to everyone else if I let myself get into a state. I've also had a look at some of the helpsheets on this site and will try to take care of myself a bit better! I think "the only way is up" should be our mantra for this year!

Serenitie
27-07-12, 15:42
Hi Goldfinch,

I think that you are doing amazingly well to cope after a difficult divorce. Try not to focus on anxieties about your future. Remind yourself how resourceful you have been up to this point and how strong you have been. Tackle one problem at a time and be kind to yourself.

You have a good support network and lots of skills to get you through this difficult time. You are in a period of transition and change is always difficult and comes with anxieties. You are doing so well and I have every faith that you will get through this difficult time. :hugs:

Goldfinch
29-07-12, 09:28
Hi Serenitie,

Thanks for your support and I hope you are coping OK with your own situation and managing to have some peaceful and happy times in this lovely weather. Take care of yourself.

Serenitie
29-07-12, 14:56
How are you doing today? I'm very tired but feeling OK. I hope that the sun is shining in your part of the world :hugs: